Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-27-2017

India

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 3

Is the Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD compatible with Lenovo Ideapad 520?

2017-12-27, 7:44 AM

Hey guys, 

I have the Lenovo Ideapad 520 (80YL00RXIN) and wanted to replace the CD Drive with the Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Solid State Drive  in order to increase the Boot Speed and over-all speed of the laptop. 

So, the question is, Is the Samsung 850 Evo SSD compatible with my laptop? And will it fit in terms of size, in place of the CD Drive? 

Also, is it recommended to add the SSD? Any downsides to doing so? 

Lastly, will I, someone who knows the basics about computers and the internal components of a computer, be able to install the SSD myself? Or would I rather outsource it to someone who deals in things like this?

Thank you.

Regards,

Neel.

Answer
Options

13223 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7451 Signins

756210 Page Views

• Views: 756210

Re: Is the Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD compatible with Lenovo Ideapad 520?

2017-12-27, 22:01 PM

Hi NeelShenoy,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The Samsung evo 850 shares the same storage specification and would be a good upgrade on the current hard drive. This can also be theoretically possible using it with a caddy as replacement for the optical drive.

Downside is that most user upgrades fails to find a good working caddy compatible and much more making it the primary boot as reported here in our community. 

This would require specific tools opening and configuring the machine so you can review the hardware manual here on how to proceed best for you. You can have a service tech check other options for additional storage and changing boot performance too at the same time.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

13223 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7451 Signins

756210 Page Views

• Views: 756210
  • Message 2 of 3

2017-12-27, 22:01 PM

Hi NeelShenoy,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The Samsung evo 850 shares the same storage specification and would be a good upgrade on the current hard drive. This can also be theoretically possible using it with a caddy as replacement for the optical drive.

Downside is that most user upgrades fails to find a good working caddy compatible and much more making it the primary boot as reported here in our community. 

This would require specific tools opening and configuring the machine so you can review the hardware manual here on how to proceed best for you. You can have a service tech check other options for additional storage and changing boot performance too at the same time.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

12-27-2017

India

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 3

2017-12-29, 16:14 PM

Thank you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms