Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-15-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 3

Laptop crashed, missing Boot Device?

2019-08-15, 6:15 AM

I'm completely computer illiterate, but 

Brand new laptop, have had for less than a month, purchased new. It barely runs two tabs in Chrome, lags, all the good stuff; and about an hour ago, the whole thing froze. Waited a while, and eventually, unfortunately, all that was left to do was to shut down via power button. Gave it a few minutes, started it back up. 

It tried to start, but gave me the error "Default Boot Device missing or Boot failed". When I tried to select what was available, it kept failing to start. Again I have to press the power button to stop it all.

This time, it starts, but takes an entire hour. 

I did a quick search as to a solution, but couldn't find anything definitive. Is it just because I manually shut it down? Or is there possibly a serious issue with my new laptop? Is this something common? 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Options

275 Posts

02-06-2017

United States of America

280 Signins

5895 Page Views

• Views: 5895
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop crashed, missing Boot Device?

2019-08-15, 12:09 PM

Hello elvaneyl and welcome to the Lenovo forum,

I am thinking defective hard drive and you should get in touch with Lenovo Support.

Options

Re: Laptop crashed, missing Boot Device?

2019-08-15, 17:39 PM

I agree with the post above. The only reason for a device to take excessive amounts to work at all and to fail hard disk detection (which is why it complained about no bootable medium being found) are all a good indicator of a defective HDD. Since your device is essentially new, you should send it in to the service and let them put in a new one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms