English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

03-26-2020

RO

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 5

Laptop not entering BIOS anymore.

2021-01-12, 1:48 AM

Hey,

Laptop IdeaPad 330s 15ARR

With added 4GB DDR4 and 128 GB NVMe SSD separately.

I have been going back and forth between windows 10 and linux mint and now I am running Windows.

I wanted to try linux again since I like it very much but the gaming support is the thing that pushes me away.

Anyways so I was ready to install linux again, shut off the laptop and then powered it back up while spamming the F2 key which previously got me into BIOS but now it didn't work and my pc just went straight into Windows.

Things i ve already tried :

Turn off fastboot

Update BIOS ( was already up to date )

Remove CMOS

Hold power button for abrupt shutdown and power it back up while hitting F2.

Holding FN+F2

Trying every single function key 

Using an external keyboard 

The only way I can get into the bios is by using advanced restart feature of windows 10 but still it is not normal for me to not be able to manually enter bios after shutdown. And I don't want to try installing linux knowing I can't get into BIOS without some OS feature because if my linux install fails somehow, and i m stuck without a functional OS then I wouldn't be able to enter it manually.

So what should I do to repair the BIOS entering bug?

Options

1552 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

174 Signins

8156 Page Views

• Views: 8156
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Laptop not entering BIOS anymore.

2021-01-12, 11:23 AM

Hi AndreiNedelcu,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The F2 prompt can be missing during boot for the following reasons: POST Function Hotkeys are disabled. Secure Boot is enabled.

Does the device have a FN hotkey lock ?  F.ex by pressing FN+ESC (The escape key has a lock icon on it), if so, then you might just have locked the function key. 

In the BIOS you can also change having to use this by Enabling/Disabling Hotkey mode.

- Enabled = Use hotkey by pressing directly the Fx key.

- Disabled = Use hotkey by pressing FN+Fx key.

Apart form that, it could be that Secure boot is enabled and is preventing the ability to enter using F2.

You should be able to boot into BIOS by the use of the Novo Button Page: 9

Make sure the computer is completely turned off, then press the Button (reachable by a unfolded paperclip or similar)

Check the Hotkey Mode settings under the "Configuration" tab and "Secure Boot" in the "Security" tab.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

7 Posts

03-26-2020

RO

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-01-12, 15:46 PM

I didn't know of the novo button.

Novo button works, boot computer into novo menu and if I choose  BIOS Setup it goes into Windows, if I choose Boot Menu it goes into Windows, if I choose Normal Startup it goes into Windows and if I choose System Recovery it goes into Windows recovery.

Now from Windows Recovery i can go into BIOS since it's the same as advanced startup feature from Windows 10.

In BIOS in Information says Secure Boot disabled, i tried hotkey mode both enabled and disabled and didn't do a thing.

Also my esc key doesn't have a lock on it.

So I still can't go into BIOS without the help of an OS ie Windows

Options

7 Posts

03-26-2020

RO

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-01-14, 0:59 AM
Hey i ve replied to your solution, can you tell me what I can do?
Options

712 Posts

05-14-2020

US

272 Signins

3450 Page Views

• Views: 3450
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-01-19, 16:20 PM

Hello,

From Windows 10 the easiest way I have found to raise the BIOS menus on the next cold start power up event is to simply use the mouse and find the Windows Power menu.  Raise the menu, hold the SHIFT KEY down and select the "SHUTDOWN" option with the mouse with the SHIFT key continuously depressed.

Then wait a few moments after it looks like it is off.  Perhaps enjoy a cup of tea.

Then pressing the power button to restart, or the novo button, it should enter the BIOS setup menus.

If you want to be able to enter BIOS after installation of Linux operating system, set up a GRUB booting menu.  The modern versions will automatically provide an option upon the GRUB menu for system set up, which accesses the BIOS screens.

IF you have previously installed the Mint OS on your hard drive, simply raising the boot order screen and selecting it may be easier than a complete reinstall.  Boot order is found within BIOS, or using F12 key, or novo button.

Also carefully review the BIOS options.  The Function Keys are only recognized for at most 3 seconds, before the system starts loading the default operating system.  There may be toggles in the BIOS to slow down the booting process. 

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Good Luck!
Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms