Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 1 of 18

Laptop not entering BIOS anymore.

2021-04-08, 0:08 AM

Hey,

Laptop IdeaPad 330s 15ARR

With added 4GB DDR4 and 128 GB NVMe SSD separately. 

I have been going back and forth between windows 10 and linux mint and now I am running Windows.
I wanted to try linux again since I like it very much but the gaming support is the thing that pushes me away.

Anyways so I was ready to install linux again, shut off the laptop and then powered it back up while spamming the F2 key which previously got me into BIOS but now it didn't work and my pc just went straight into Windows.

Also, if I push the NOVO button and enter the novo menu, any option i chose just boots Windows, no option brings me to bios, even "Boot Menu" returns me to windows.

Things i ve already tried :

Turn off fastboot
Update BIOS ( was already up to date )
Downgraded the BIOS to various versions
Remove CMOS
Remove battery and CMOS for one day 
Hold power button for abrupt shutdown and power it back up while hitting F2.
Holding FN+F2
Trying every single function key 
Using an external keyboard 
Tried Hotkey Mode On/Off ( Read below for how i changed this bios feature )

In BIOS secure boot is off ( yes i can enter the bios, but in a very sketchy way, not the usual way )

And my laptop is 100% off, no soft shutdown or anything. I am absolutely certain that I'm correctly trying to enter BIOS since I've done this countless times.

The only way I can get into the bios is by using advanced restart feature of windows 10 but still it is not normal for me to not be able to manually enter bios after shutdown.

And I don't want to try installing linux knowing I can't get into BIOS without some OS feature because if my linux install fails somehow, and i m stuck without a functional OS then I wouldn't be able to enter it manually.

Also, I wanted to boot into some usbs and after every boot using usb sticks( i used 3 different ones ) my boot options names were doubling for example :

1st time

1.Windows Boot Manager
2. NVME SSD
3. HDD

2nd time
1. Windows Boot Manager Windows Boot Manager
2. NVME SSD NVME SSD
3. HDD HDD

The 3rd time the names became longe, the 4th time longer, and so on and I don't know what is wrong with my laptop.

So what should I do to repair the BIOS?

Options

969 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

390 Signins

4830 Page Views

• Views: 4830
  • Message 2 of 18

Re:Laptop not entering BIOS anymore.

2021-04-08, 14:33 PM

Hello,

My first suggestion is to enter Windows 10 and backup your user data at the first opportunity.  Don't "clone" your disks, just back up your user data.

Secondly, I have questions regarding your software installation.

Are you using UEFI bios for windwos and switching to Legacy mode for Linux?   (This is unstable, however only a very few people experience instability.)

You added a second disk to your system.  When you relocated windows to boot from the faster SSD, did you obliterate the Windows installation from the HDD?  And have only ONE of the drives selected as "bootable?"

Usedtoberich

Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2021-04-08, 14:43 PM

@ Usedtoberich wrote:

Hello,

My first suggestion is to enter Windows 10 and backup your user data at the first opportunity.  Don' "clone" your disks, just back up your user data.

Secondly, I have questions regarding your software installation.

Are you using UEFI bios for windwos and switching to Legacy mode for Linux?   (This is unstable, however only a very few people experience instability.)

You added a second disk to your system.  When you relocated windows to boot from the faster SSD, did you obliterate the Windows installation from the HDD?  And have only ONE of the drives selected as "bootable?"

Usedtoberich

First of all, I am not dual booting, I currently only have Windows installed ( on the SSD). Before I installed Windows i had Arch Linux, i completely wiped both the HDD and the SSD when i reinstalled Windows. After that reinstall I couldn't enter bios using F2, just by using Advanced restart feature of Windows.

Options

969 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

390 Signins

4830 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2021-04-08, 15:11 PM

Hello,

OK, if Windows is the only desired operating system, I am curious why the boot order screen is presenting the SSD and the HDD as bootable options.  Usually only the Windows boot loader and  the PXE network boot options are presented, when just one operating system is present.

For BIOS question, compare your BIOS version installed with the latest BIOS version available form support.lenovo.com for your machine.  If they are different, download and install the latest version from lenovo site.

But first from Windows 10 desktop, enforce an orderly shutdown by first closing all open application windows using the X in the corner of the box, then also closing minimized applications by selecting the X.  Then use the mouse and select Windows "RETART" or "SHUTDOWN" power menu commands.  Don't touch the power button to turn the machine off.

Allow Windows to reboot normally.   Then try holding the "SHIFT" key down and selecting "SHUTDOWN" again with the mouse.    Wait a few moments after it looks like it is off.  Then power up, a lot of systems will enter BIOS set up screens with this method.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2021-04-08, 15:58 PM

I am running the latest BIOS version from the official lenovo sites.

I will try that Shift + shutdown thing in a few days since the laptop is at my friend.

Also, what i m trying to do is to find a way to enter the bios without any operating system assistance. For example if my os install gets corrupted , how would I enter bios and reinstall windows . If I remove my drives it will boot into bios but then, how could I install windows if I've pulled out the hdd and ssd.

Options

969 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

390 Signins

4830 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2021-04-09, 12:57 PM

Hello,

For entering BIOS the novo button is intended to provide direct system board access to the BIOS screens.  So even if no system drive is attached, using the NOVO button should obtain access to BIOS.  I have never attempted this with no disks connected, it may be prudent to test this.  Check your User Manual to find location of the novo button.  Not all systems have one, and sometimes it is not located on the outside rim.

Many modern Linux distributions can be installed upon a USB device.  Search for "persistent USB" installation option.

Windows Professional version has a similar option named Windows To GO.

So the system can be operated using an external USB connected system drive.

With weird booting issues sometimes it is effective to obliterate the MBR (on both disks!) then set BIOS to factory defaults.  Then a hard reinstall of your desired operating system.   Presence of MBR can sometimes disrupt system operations nowadays.

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2021-04-09, 18:24 PM

I will try reinstalling everything and will post the result in about a week.

And about that novo button, i said in the first post that the novo button brings me to the novo menu : Normal Startup, BIOS Setup, Boot Menu, System recovery. And all those boot options bring me into windows, i select BIOS Setup -> Windows boots up ;  I select Boot Menu -> Windows boots up

Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2021-04-20, 10:18 AM

None of the solutions worked .

Every possible mentioned solution doesn't fix anything.

I can't enter the bios normally, even the novo button doesn't boot me into bios, it just sends me to windows . I tried reinstalling the is I have tried everything .

What else can I do?

Options

20 Posts

03-26-2020

Romania

22 Signins

105 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2021-04-20, 10:41 AM

Also this is my glitched boot order I don't have an USB plugged in. All I have is the HDD and nvme drives and their names shouldn't be repeating

20210420_134041.jpg
Options

969 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

390 Signins

4830 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2021-04-20, 13:34 PM

Hello,

Several tries and no joy, I am beginning to become mystified.  If another person wants to contribute their ideas, PLEASE DO!!

So, my idea is to drop back quite a few steps and install the latest and hopefully correct BIOS.

So to clear the system status, first enter the Windows 10 (It is version 10??)  desktop,and close all application windows with the X and also close all minimized applications with the "X"

Now place a small piece of paper over the power button.  Don't touch the power button until much much later.

Use the mouse and the Windows Icon and on the Windows power menu options, select "RESTART"  (If updates are pending, install the updates, pending updates may prevent editing bios settings.)   IF updates are installed, RESTART again, and again, and so forth until all updates are installed.

Then after all updates are installed, RESTART again, just for fun!  (Continue to NOT touch the power button, but you can to power it UP if needed.)

Now use your favorite browser, find your system bios for download from Lenovo support site, you will need to type in your system serial number, or preferably use an autodetect feature.   Place the bios UPDATE .exe file on your desktop.   Again, close all open applications with the X and close all minimized applications with the "X".  Right click on the bios update program select run as administrator.  Read and follow the instructions, they slowly change over time....

Update how it goes....     :(

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms