Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-13-2021

Belgium

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 8

Laptop not waking up on wireless keyboard/mouse input

2021-10-13, 20:35 PM

Hello people,

I'm looking for some advice on how to fix an issue with waking up my laptop through wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

Namely, I have a wireless keyboard/mouse set which I use for my private & business laptop by moving the 2 USB receivers from to the other.

What I've noticed is that my business laptop will respond (wake from sleep mode) to keyboard input or mouse movement when I plug back in the 2 USB receivers - whereas my private laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK) does not.

Once it's in sleep mode and the USB receivers are removed, and then re-inserted, it no longer can detect them.

I've scoured the net for answers on forums, some of which pointed to USB power management settings in Device Manager (Root hub, individual device), some to registry keys, Power Management plan etc. but nothing worked. Any thoughts?

Short summary of laptop HW/OS:

Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model: Ideapad 700-15ISK
BIOS: 2.8
Version: 10.0.19042

Thanks in advance!

Options

4714 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

297 Signins

26584 Page Views

• Views: 26584
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Laptop not waking up on wireless keyboard/mouse input

2021-10-13, 21:00 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @Oreos4Ever  

I might suggest that you share the complete machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK or 20UD000BUS) from the sticker usually located under the case. This would help find more details about your machine variant, while keeping the confidentiality of your serial number.

If you can't find any sticker under the device showing the machine type model / MTM, check this link as guide how to find it within Windows. Please do not include the machine serial number (S/N): https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/videos/vid100751-how-to-locate-serial-number-and-machine-type-model-number-may-2020-update

Try to connect your wireless mouse and keyboard then perform these.

See if your mouse or your keyboards are set to wake up the machine from sleep
- Press Windows key + R to launch command
- Type the "devmgmt.msc" without the quotation marks in the box
- Hit Enter
- On the Device Manager, check the Keyboards driver
- Click on it to collapse the driver for keyboards
- Right click and select Properties
- Find the Power Management tab 
- Check the box saying Allow this device to wake the computer
- Click OK to save

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

10-13-2021

Belgium

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-10-14, 13:45 PM

Hello Dex,

The machine type model is: 80RU00CLMH

Both wireless mouse and keyboard have their power management set to "Allow this device to wake the computer".

I am not sure if this is relevant, but I don't see this option under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" for:

a) Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

b) USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

For those devices, "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed out.

I've used this document to try to enable it:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63148-allow-prevent-devices-wake-computer-windows-10-a.html

However, I am not allowed to do so.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -deviceenablewake "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)"
You do not have permission to enable or disable device wake.

Same for USB Root Hub (USB 3.0).

And there are no settings in BIOS which would control this, as far as I can see?

Regards,

Igor

Options

4714 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

297 Signins

26584 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-10-14, 18:10 PM

Hi @Oreos4Ever  

Thanks for providing a reply in the thread.

What is the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard that you are using?

@ Oreos4Ever wrote:

What I've noticed is that my business laptop will respond (wake from sleep mode) to keyboard input or mouse movement when I plug back in the 2 USB receivers - whereas my private laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK) does not.

Once it's in sleep mode and the USB receivers are removed, and then re-inserted, it no longer can detect them.

I'd like to clarify this statement.

Do you specifically mean in this part that you put the machine into sleep (with the external wireless mouse and keyboard connected), then remove the usb dongles of the wireless mouse/keyboard for some reason - plug it again after a few, then expect to wake it up by moving the wireless mouse (or tapping on the keyboard)?

Also, will these two wireless devices wake up the machine from sleep, if you will not remove the USB dongles while on sleep?

I believe there is no setting under the BIOS that can actually configure the operations of wireless devices, the settings for these peripheral devices can only be accessed within OS.

Regards.

Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

10-13-2021

Belgium

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-10-14, 18:47 PM

Hi @Dex ,

Wireless mouse and keyboard are Logitech.

Yes, your assumption is correct. I move the USB dongles from on laptop to another, after I put them to sleep.

On my business laptop it works, I just plug in the mouse USB dongle and give a small nudge.

On my private (Lenovo) it doesn't respond to either mouse or keyboard. If I don't remove the USB dongles they're more than capable of waking up the laptop. No issues there.

Regards,

Igor

Options

4714 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

297 Signins

26584 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-10-15, 15:29 PM

Hi @Oreos4Ever  

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. 

I would think that your other machine is an entirely different brand and has features that is unique from your private Lenovo device, these two laptops apparently don't share the similar mechanism. 

The best way to wake up your machine from the sleep is to retain the connection of the wireless devices connected even in sleep mode, since it's operations are ongoing even in idle state. It's like a medical breather connected to a dependent patient, if disconnected from the source, it would less likely keep the recipient from breathing.

You may opt to have a wireless mouse and keyboard dedicated for your private machine as a viable choice.

Regards.
Dex

Options

4 Posts

10-13-2021

Belgium

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-10-15, 17:13 PM

Hi @Dex ,

The layout of my workspace makes that difficult, hence my question.

So this is not supported with Lenovo, regardless of the underlying OS?

Regards,

Igor

Options

4714 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

297 Signins

26584 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-10-15, 19:08 PM

Hi @Oreos4Ever  

This option may not be supported in Ideapad 80RU00CLMH variants, but there are option in BIOS for this for business machines like Thinkpads instead.

Regards.
Dex

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)