Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 10

Lenovo 320-171kb S/N ******** Recovery USB

2021-06-07, 21:18 PM

Hi.  I received this laptop from a friend and am trying to restore it to factory condition. 

The unit had Windows 10 on it so I used the Recovery system to format the drive completely, didn't need any of the files.

Then I used the video  How to reset your PC to factory defaults using Lenovo OneKey Recovery (OKR),

The USB has the Recovery files on it and the checksum said it was a good file.

I inserted the USB and then used the OKR pinhole to start the system.

The message comes up telling me:  Error when initializing the recovery environment.

If I take out the USB and use OKR again to try to boot from the hard drive, or anything else in Boot, won't work.

Tells me I need Administrator PW, I do not have this from the other person, he is paralyzed and in care home now.

Not sure what to do to reinstall the original 10.

I may put Linux on if cannot do this restore.

Thanks.

Moderator note: serial number removed to prevent abuse. Corresponding MT-M is 80XM00GRUS

Answer
Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

Re:Lenovo 320-171kb S/N ******** Recovery USB

2021-06-09, 20:02 PM

Great reply, I've installed Linux Mint as dual boot and left the Win 10 in a small partition.  I could change the motherboard, but I'm giving it to an elderly person who doesn't need to hassle with Microsoft issues...all is good!  Thanks again.

Replies(9)
Options

2467 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

157 Signins

14231 Page Views

• Views: 14231
  • Message 2 of 10

2021-06-07, 21:49 PM

Welcome to the Commmunity Forums Mikrose,

Thank you for sharing your query. There is a difference between restoring the device to factory condition, over using a recovery media/USB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it appears that you want to restore the machine into factory defaults, much similar to resetting a phone to default settings.

If you want to restore the system to factory condition, there is no need to use a recovery media/USB as long as the device can boot to Windows and you can access the Windows settings.

Since the machine runs in Win10, you may check here if you want to go with the reset.

You can still initiate a reset by going into the Novo Button and selecting System Recovery if the device cannot be accessed due to password issue.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-06-08, 3:39 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply. 

When you said "If you want to restore the system to factory condition, there is no need to use a recovery media/USB as long as the device can boot to Windows and you can access the Windows settings.", that is my problem.

I cannot boot to Windows at all, when I boot normally I get the attached Account Disabled message on the screen. 

Since I don't know the man's old password, I decided to just wipe the drive and do a clean install from a recovery drive.

I used the Lenovo recovery choices (while I still had access to Win 10) to do the wipe, and it said it would reinstall the original Win 10 but not my files, which it didn't do.

When I use the OneKey to start: Normal Boot shows the above screen message,

Bios Setup asks for a System Password which I don't have,

Boot Manager:

Windows Boot Manager HD = nothing,

EFI USB Device = Product Recovery Error,

EFI PXE Network = nothing

System Recovery = Recovery Option screen, nothing will boot to Win 10

ps...unable to attach images

Options

2467 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

157 Signins

14231 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-06-08, 14:29 PM

Hi Mikrose,

Previous One Key Recovery (OKR) features are with older models, but not with yours.

You may however avail of the OEM recovery image here.

Take note that such installations does remove data so other rather keep it when they fresh install Windows using MS image ISO version. There are similar discussions here.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-06-08, 18:51 PM

Hi Dex and thanks again. 

The link you sent is what I used to get the Digital Download Recovery setup by entering my Lenovo S/N, and making the USB.  But the download was interrupted once.

I noticed it recommends a download of 20 Mbps so am going to download the file again, my speed is only 7 at this time, it takes forever!  (Century Link)

I'll report back, and thanks for the support!!!

Mic

Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-06-09, 2:42 AM

I re-formatted the 32G USB, downloaded a new Lenovo Security Key to the USB and it looked like it installed completely.

Then inserted it into the Lenovo laptop and started it up...same results:

Need Admin PW, cannot proceed.

Next tried to startup using the OneKey with the USB inserted, or not...same message Admin PW needed.

Not sure what the issue is.

This is supposed to be the OEM download, about to install Win 8.1 and use Media creation tool to upgrade to 10.

Options

1022 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

418 Signins

5200 Page Views

• Views: 5200
  • Message 7 of 10

2021-06-09, 14:11 PM

Hello,

Computer security passwords can be embedded at several levels on modern systems.

SO an individual data file can have a password set.  (enter the correct passphrases, replace the data file.)

A data folder/directory can have passord set. (enter the correct passphrases, never use the directory again....)

The operating system login can have username and password combination.  (For Microsoft universe, these can be reset either by a second authorized administrator user granting administor permissions to the newer user, or using Microsoft account.  Prior registration/setup is needed to authorize the second user and/or register the device with microsoft account(s?), see Microsoft.com for exact instrutions.)

The hard drive can be encrypted in several ways.  (Enter the correct passphrases or Replace the hard drive....)

And lastly the system board itself and firmware UEFI/BIOS can be password locked in several ways.  (Enter the correct passphras(es) or Replace the system board.)

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

2467 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

157 Signins

14231 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-06-09, 18:33 PM

Hi Mikrose,

I would advise to take time review the hardware manual here in page 24.

Administrator password controls the access of the whole setup utility. Only after the Administrator password has been set can the User password be set. If Administrator password was cleared, the User password was cleared too.

You really need to get the password from the original owner as mentioned here in this discussion.

Regards.
Dex

Answer
Options

5 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-06-09, 20:02 PM

Great reply, I've installed Linux Mint as dual boot and left the Win 10 in a small partition.  I could change the motherboard, but I'm giving it to an elderly person who doesn't need to hassle with Microsoft issues...all is good!  Thanks again.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2467 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

157 Signins

14231 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-06-09, 20:20 PM

Hi Mikrose,

You're welcome. Glad to know you've found a way through. Feel free to start a new post should you need help anytime.

Regards.
Dex

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)