Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Design and Support

2021-04-23, 18:43 PM

I have a love hate relationship with my Lenovo. In some ways it is the best laptop I have ever owned and in others the worst. So for the best, I almost hate to type this, I have never had an operational issue with my machine. It has run since day one without giving me any trouble. Load new program, no problem. Delete programs no issues. Even a full Microsoft update piece of cake.

Unfortunately when it comes to mechanical issues like case integrity or DVD drive it ranks at the bottom. The worst thing concerns the screen hinges. As I was told by the shop where I bought my machine, "Lenovo has a problem with their hinges. They no it but haven't done anything about it". Now this is one persons opinion but it has proven correct in my case. My hinges got a little sticky. What I didn't know is that it had caused a screw that holds the base of the hinge in place to loosen and fall out. So when that screw doesn't hold, and the screen is opened with a sticky hinge, the base of the hinge tries to pry the bottom two halves of the case apart. It is large enough to do a very good job of this. To compound the issue Lenovo, glues the two case halves together so you end up wrecking even more of the case if you try to get into it to repair it. This is compounded even more by the fact that the plastic Lenovo uses is brittle. I already had small cracks in other parts of my case. 

To try to correct the issue I took a screw out of one of the other base mounting points and put it into the hinge base only to find out that the recessed plastic hole location had broken loose which is why the screw probably fell out initially. So now I have a great running computer that is trying to self destruct every time I open it. My laptop needs to become a desktop to keep it from completely destroying itself.

If that all wasn't bad enough, try getting in touch with Lenovo once your warranty is over. Whatever system they are using is preventing my computer from from connecting because it is afraid they are trying to steal information. There is no technical support you can call up for help or at least I haven't been able to find it. My local company wants me to leave my computer with them until they have time to get to it, currently 2 weeks or more behind. I can't be without my computer for 2 or more weeks as it is my only work computer. I was also told that Lenovo doesn't offer empty cases for my model so that isn't an option. So I have a computer that I am afraid to take to job sites and afraid the next time I open it something will break and sever a wire which will kill the computer.

So does anyone have any suggestions how I might be able to talk to someone at Lenovo before this thing commits suicide and I'm trying to recover the hard drive?

Thanks, Bill

Options

2519 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

160 Signins

14536 Page Views

• Views: 14536
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo Design and Support

2021-04-23, 21:34 PM

Hi Reload1,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thank you for taking the time to initiate a post here.

We're sorry to know what happened with the unit. For instances like this, at an early stage of the case, you could have reached out to the technical team for them to give you recommendations. If you can still access the machine with an operational display, you may perform a back up to a different storage outlet as early as possible.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

04-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-04-24, 17:07 PM

Dex, I did reach out to the technical team and was told SORRY it's out of warranty. They didn't even offer me an option as new cases are not available. To me this was a design issue. Bill

Options

2519 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

160 Signins

14536 Page Views

• Views: 14536
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-27, 18:28 PM

Hi Reload1,

Apologies for what turned out on the technical team. The damage on the machine actually depends on how it is being used and utilized. Any kind of machine machine is subject to wear and tear.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)