Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-21-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 25

Lenovo Flex 5 15" black screen after startup

2019-10-21, 13:16 PM

Hey y'all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but it's where i'm gonna start. I bought my Flex 5 about a year ago in the US and it's been working fine until around last week. I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary to damage it, but one night i left it on to upload some photos to Google Drive and it shut off on it's own. When I started it up again in the morning I could not get past the Lenovo loading screen, because after that the screen just stayed black (the keyboard stayed lit and the backlight was there,but no cursor or anything).

None of the keyboard commands have worked so far and switching it off then on again obviously didn't work either. I've tried reading about similar problems in forums and one of the threads recommended connecting it to an external monitor so I tried that too. Nothing. Just gives me the "no signal" message.

Tweakbox Appvalley https://vlc.onl
Options

434 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

164 Signins

8969 Page Views

• Views: 8969
  • Message 2 of 25

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 15" black screen after startup

2019-11-13, 15:26 PM

Hi  ,

Welcome to Community Forums!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Did you notice any Windows Updates before this happened?

Have you installed any software or hardware prior to this?

Try these steps first:

• Remove all connected devices / peripherals
  • Perform a Power drain ( shutdown the machine > unplug power cord > press and hold power button for 30 secs)
  • Turn on machine again

If your still having the same issue, you can try the troubleshooting steps for Black screen or blank screen after Lenovo Splash Screen.

Just follow the steps provided on the article.

Let us know if everything works.

Regards,

Malvin

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

07-23-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 25

Re:Lenovo Flex 5 15" black screen after startup

2020-08-04, 21:39 PM

Hello,

I am having the same issue. Screen is black after startup. The blacklist comes on but no screen. This seems to randomly happen as sometimes it works and others it doesn't. I have updated all installations and nothing seems to work. Not sure if this is a cable issue or motherboard issue.

Options

1 Posts

01-07-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 25

2021-01-07, 0:43 AM

This appears to be a driver issue, I am having it as well. You can temporarily fix this:

Attach an external display (monitor or TV) with an HDMI cable

Then go into the Device Manager in Windows, expand Display Adapters, choose Intel UHD adapter, choose update driver, let me pick, then select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Options

1 Posts

01-14-2021

Morocco

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 25

2021-01-14, 11:38 AM

Hi, I know this look stupid but I had the same problem this couple of days, and I was going to replace it because I've just bought it two weeks ago, until I found out today that the brightness is reduced to min. this looks very stupid but it might help someone.

Options

1 Posts

02-15-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 25

2021-02-15, 21:01 PM

We purchased 2 Flex 5's just about 6 months ago.  One of them has failed.  We have the black screen of death.  It will not boot up.  The light on the power button turns on.  The fan revs.  It seems like it's about to boot, but it fails and everything goes dead.  There seems to be a multitude of similar experiences on this forum and all over the internet, yet the support experience has been a nightmare.  We've followed all of the steps to try to get it to reboot.  It doesn't work.  We called and were told that if we don't want to pay more to get an actual warranty service, we can take it into Best Buy based upon what we purchased.  We made clear that this is necessary for our child to go to school virtually given all of the covid madness.  So we can't afford to send it away for months to have something that's a known issue fixed.  We were assured that they can address it at Best Buy.  Nope.  Best Buy just takes it and sends it away for 2 months.  And that's if it can be fixed.  If it can't fixed, then it could take much longer.  So we contacted Lenovo again.   Again, we could pay more to have them fix their problem.  A known problem.  We could pay a one time upcharge for an upgrade in our service, that will then go away after this.  Then someone could maybe come and look at it, but if they can't fix it on site, then it will still need to be sent away for weeks or months.  All for a known error.  

So if anyone on here is considering a class action , I realize it won't help us more quickly, but this seems to be a viable situation.  Putting out a faulty product to only then insist on charging more to fix something that should be covered under warranty.  We bought these for our children to go to school at a time when stress is already ridiculous for them.  We went with Lenovo, because we were under the distinct wrong impression that they had quality products.  This service experience has been exceptionally bad.  We would never recommend this product (too bad because liked it before it failed) to anyone, nor would we ever recommend working with this terrible company.  Build your products to work, and/or when they don't, fix them.  Is it that hard?  It's not as though this is a unique experience.  Something is clearly wrong that so many people are experiencing the same issue.  Stop doing the math on when a recall would be justified and just fix your product.  Is it really that hard to do the right thing?

Options

8 Posts

03-01-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

55 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 55
  • Message 7 of 25

2021-03-01, 11:15 AM

This workaround from IT Nerd works for me aswell, but obviously the issue needs to be resolved properly, not with a workaround..

As soon as I use the Radeon driver the display on the laptop goes black (but external display works)

Problem is, with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter I cant use the second (external) monitor, which is an issue to me.

Come on Lenovo, did your last video driver mess up our machines??

Does anybody have links to the old drivers?  I would like to try that one but cant find it.

Options

2 Posts

03-11-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 25

2021-03-11, 5:55 AM

I'm having the same issue with the 14" variant I've tried removing the nvme as well as the battery. Can't remove ram because it's integrated on the board and the keyboard lights up but no light on the screen.

Options

1 Posts

03-11-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 9 of 25

2021-03-11, 16:52 PM

Same issue. I bought 2 14" flex idea pad (81X2) for my two kids. One of them stopped booting last night. Whatever I do, it goes to black screen with some keyboard buttons lit (e.g. caps lock).

Power cycled multiple times (holding power button to turn off) without luck. Tried to get to BIOS menu (Fn+F2 and other combinations), but I cannot. Tried external monitor via HDMI, nothing happens. Tried brightness buttons (Fn+F5/F6). Tried booting Linux on a USB (instead of default Windows), and it won't boot. 

None of the solutions in this thread worked.

I submitted a warranty ticket since both laptops are still < 6 months old (bought in late Nov 2020). I hope the other laptop does not do the same.

Options

2 Posts

03-11-2021

United States of America

11 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 10 of 25

2021-03-11, 17:15 PM
Probably a graphics driver issue they are making me send mine in too. Really frustrating since the laptop is less then 2 months old.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms