English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-05-2018

US

10 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Flex 5 (2017) 81C9 Slow BIOS boot

2021-01-13, 14:10 PM

Hi,

I bought a Lenovo Flex 5 laptop in early 2018 and it works pretty well. However, I occasionally have a very slow boot time (where it takes about 3 minutes from pressing the power button to seeing the Windows desktop). Windows is clearly not the issue here, because when the spinner appears it takes less than 10 seconds to boot. The problem happens before even loading the bootloader. When I press the power button, the Lenovo logo takes a while to appear and it appears slowly on screen. The System password BIOS dialog also takes long to load, and there is a very noticeable delay when pressing keys. After entering the BIOS password, GRUB starts loading (I installed Ubuntu, and tried different Ubuntu and GRUB versions to no avail). GRUB loads very slowly as the graphics take a while to be loaded to the screen. GRUB has a timer and it is funny to see that one second of this timer is like two seconds of real time, which makes me wonder if this is a RTC/clock issue. If i choose to boot Ubuntu, I think the system doesn't boot (I left the computer like 10 minutes after choosing Ubuntu and I just got a black screen). When choosing to boot Windows, however, the Lenovo logo slowly appears again and it takes really long until the Windows spinner appears. Once the spinner appears, the system boots normally.

If I shut down the computer before reaching the Windows spinner, it is almost guaranteed to take very long to boot again. Booting Windows is not always sufficient as rebooting the system may cause it to slowly boot again. Maybe it is related to having low battery charge, but the issue can happen both using the battery and with the computer plugged in. 

I'm not sure when this happens, I could never reproduce the issue manually. Maybe it happens after shutting down Ubuntu sometimes, but it almost never happens and maybe it even happened before I installed Ubuntu, just with the stock Windows 10 installation. It started happening 6 months after buying the computer.

I tried upgrading the BIOS from v2.00 to v2.15 and nothing changed.
I uploaded a video to YouTube https://youtu.be/8miGsZ1KhGs where the issue can be seen. The video description contains some more details.

Any ideas?

Options

104 Posts

01-08-2021

PH

15 Signins

755 Page Views

• Views: 755
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Lenovo Flex 5 (2017) 81C9 Slow BIOS boot

2021-01-13, 17:33 PM

Hi @tomyfer97,

Greetings.

We would like to know first if the issue is a boot issue or if it has something to do with the BIOS.

Please try to perform these steps; we suggest to remove the hard drive first and then start the machine using the novo button.

From a powered off state, access the machine's novo button as indicated on the user guide (page 11, unit 2).

This will give you novo button menu, please check where it will go from that point.

Update us how it goes.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

08-05-2018

US

10 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Lenovo Flex 5 (2017) 81C9 Slow BIOS boot

2021-01-14, 12:16 PM

Great, didn't know about the Novo button. When the issue happens again I'll try it and see if the issue also affects the Novo menu.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms