Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

12-27-2020

Canada

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Flex 6-14ARR CPU throttles to 0.38GHz below 20% Battery Life

2020-12-27, 0:44 AM

Hello,

I have been having this issue for quite a while now and cannot find any sort of fix. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 2500U. As the post title says, as soon as my laptop hits 20% battery remaining the CPU is throttled to a max of 0.38 GHz. In this state it becomes essentially unusable, taking sometimes up to a full minute to load a single web page. If I connect the power supply it seems to fix the issue. 

Things I have tried include:

- Changing to "Performance mode"

- Changing the advanced power settings to never be below 100% CPU usage

- going into BIOS to look for any power related settings (there are none)

- Checking if the PC is overheating (it is not)

Does anyone have a similar issue that may have some sort of fix? Or maybe some news on a potential BIOS update? its really frustrating to essentially only be able to use 4/5s of my supposed battery life...

Options

6 Posts

04-27-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Lenovo Flex 6-14ARR CPU throttles to 0.38GHz below 20% Battery Life

2021-04-27, 3:43 AM

not a fix, but I too have had this issue for ages. Plugging in the cable is the only solution I've found, regardless of battery life (ie, 0-20% plugging it in fixes the throttle). There was a workaround I had a while ago but it got lost in some updates I made

EDIT: there is the BIOS rollback option, but I haven't confirmed this works, nor do I know what side effects may be

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebooks/Ideapad-530S-14ARR-CPU-underclocks-at-38-ghz-when-battery-is-bellow-21/m-p/4447376?page=4#5187038

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms