Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-09-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo IdeaPad S540-15IWL with Dell monitor P2419HC USB-C

2021-06-09, 16:32 PM

Hi all,

I recently got a Dell monitor ( P2419HC) for work. It comes with USB-C cable which is handy for my MacBook as it can charge the laptop, use the monitor's USB ports for wireless mouse, as well as the main purpose of having it as a display cable.

I tried connecting it to my Lenovo IdeaPad (S540) through USB-C though, and the monitor couldn't pick up a display signal.

Message on monitor: "No USB type-C signal from your device."

Message on laptop: "Display connection might be limited. Make sure the DisplayPort device you're connecting to is supported by your PC"

It's definitely detected it as a device, as I can still use my wireless mouse with the dongle plugged into the monitor's USB port when the monitor is connected via USB-C...

What's especially weird is that I've used USB-C as my display output using a USB-C to HDMI cable with another monitor in the past (this cable is USB-C on both sides) without problems

My guess is it's a driver issue but I can't find any info on this. Thanks in advance for your help

Answer
Options

4238 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23603 Page Views

• Views: 23603

Re:Lenovo IdeaPad S540-15IWL with Dell monitor P2419HC USB-C

2021-06-11, 21:15 PM

Hi @alex_dc 

Basically, not all USB C ports have DP ALT mode features.

There are also instances that with the right USB C to HDMI cable (Active adapter) were able to support basic display like VGA, DVI, and HDMI but not high resolution interface.

Same reason where we have our mobile phones and tablet at times capable of connecting to TV monitor even without DP alt-mode but only with HDMI (Display connection might be limited).

In such event, a dock with separate chip to support the signal can help.

In your situation, I suspect that there was a recent update that re-align intended functions limiting display bandwidth or increasing requirements.

You can if there are any updates like driver or firmware for the Active adapter needed.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(5)
Options

4238 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23603 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2021-06-09, 17:19 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums alex_dc,

Thanks for sharing your query. Checking on the user guide (page 3, unit 4) of the machine, the USB C port of your machine is labeled as USB C connector intended for peripheral parts and data transfer only. 

From the product specification sheet, it does not also show any detail claiming USB C port can be used to extend display. It appears that there is a HDMI port available, hence, this port is the responsible outlet to extend display.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

06-09-2021

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-06-10, 4:42 AM

Hey Dex, thanks for your response. This is weird though as I mentioned I've previously been able to output display via a USB-C / HDMI cable (USB-C on laptop end and HDMI on monitor end)... How is that possible if USB-C is not available at all for display output?

Options

4238 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23603 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-06-10, 14:16 PM

Hi alex_dc,

Thanks for pointing that out. It would be good if you can share your machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help in specifying your machine variant. A machine type model / MTM consists of more than four characters.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Options

3 Posts

06-09-2021

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-06-11, 12:08 PM

Hey Dex, I think this is the number you are referring to:

81SW000DUK

Answer
Options

4238 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23603 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-06-11, 21:15 PM

Hi @alex_dc 

Basically, not all USB C ports have DP ALT mode features.

There are also instances that with the right USB C to HDMI cable (Active adapter) were able to support basic display like VGA, DVI, and HDMI but not high resolution interface.

Same reason where we have our mobile phones and tablet at times capable of connecting to TV monitor even without DP alt-mode but only with HDMI (Display connection might be limited).

In such event, a dock with separate chip to support the signal can help.

In your situation, I suspect that there was a recent update that re-align intended functions limiting display bandwidth or increasing requirements.

You can if there are any updates like driver or firmware for the Active adapter needed.

Regards.
Dex

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms