English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-01-2019

US

3 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 61 of 61

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 100s Bitlocker Recovery Key

2019-10-01, 16:10 PM

EDITED TO ADD 1: The solution below did not work for me. I was able to find someone who had admin credentials.  I was told they checked and that, that my device (even though it shows in the device list on the Azure portal) is NOT registered on their servers and, therefore, does not have a Bitlocker Recovery Key associated with it.

My device now sits with a data recovery business an hour away from my house and I sit here with very little hope of their being able to recover my data.

:/

Thank you, to everyone in this thread that contributed. 

I found what could be a possible solution for some in a Dell message board much like this one.

My current situation is that I am waiting for someone connected to my corporate MS account with Azure Admin credentials to confirm for me (or not) that there is a Bitlocker Recovery Key associated with my device.  You will absolutely need someone with Admin credentials to see the Bitlocker Recovery Key *if* there is one. 

If you have an Azure account (and you may have one without knowing it!) - you won't see the Bitlocker Recovery Key without global or security admin credentials.

Possible Solution (copy/pasted from the Dell message board) (link to actual message board for you to read for yourself - https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/BitLocker-need-a-key-but-I-never-installed-it/td-p/6019486/page/6  ):

Re: BitLocker: need a key but I never installed it

SOLVED (for me, at least).
To all encountering the prompt "enter Bitlocker recovery key," see below for the solution that worked for me.

I, too, had never set up a Bitlocker recovery key for my Microsoft account.  No links, troubleshooting, reboots, or messing with BIOS helped.  Also, as I'm sure is true for many of you, it made no sense that I would try to "find my Bitlocker recovery key" when (1) I'd never set up one and (2) my computer is eight months old and purchased directly from Dell.  So, it was my understanding the no prior user or software installer would have set up a Bitlocker recovery key for me.

WRONG!

At any rate, I finally called Microsoft, a second time (I requested a call through Microsoft.com which I was on using another computer).  The tech asked if I set up my account using "Azure" which I was (and am) certain I had not.  Nevertheless, she instructed me to go to https://portal.azure.com/, which I did, and, there, I signed into my Microsoft.com account.  I'll be **bleep** if she didn't navigate me directly to the Bitlocker recovery key assigned to my computer, which, I emphasize, I NEVER SET UP. 

Here is where it was located:

go to "https://portal.azure.com/" -> click "Azure Active Directory" on left side of screen -> click "Devices - All Devices" -> you'll see a list of your devices; click the one of interest -> scroll down and see Bitlocker recovery key.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete