English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

07-21-2019

Indonesia

14 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Idepad 720S 14IKB - Cooling Performance Improvement

2019-08-27, 13:38 PM

Hi all, want to share you guys about what I did to improve cooling performance and minimize fan noise.
I'm little bit surprised when realize that my processor i5-8250U that have maximum boost frequency up to 3.4 GHZ never it highest potential because by system it will limit due to thermal issue.

Using several benchmarking software, the performance is below average. I can't find settings to boost the CPU freq, maybe it limit for our own safety so it will not get overheat.

But I really want my laptop can perform at it's best. So I found ThrottleStop software to modify how CPU perform. Usually this software is use to limit CPU speed to get better temperature. I do the opposite, when I need full speed, I run this software with desired setup.
!!Please be careful using this software, it not for newbie, DWYOR.!!

Other than that, first thing first is to improve cooling performance. There's two thing that I do.

1. Remove wiremesh at back cover under the CPU fan, and

2. Change the thermal paste.

I see that the wiremesh under the fan is too tight, it will block air flow and make more noise. So I remove the wiremesh especially right below the two fans. Afte removing it, you will get better air flow and get better cooling performnce.
I want to make sure the improvement is maximu, so I decided to change the thermal paste to a better one.
I use Kryonaut from Thermal Grizzly, some people said this thermal is one of the best thermal paste we can get.

The cooling performance is quite significant. Without changing the CPU boost with ThrottleStop app, I got arround 4-8 degree celcius cooler compare to original condition. With that I can boost CPU a little more with ThrottleStop, and hit max temperature around 77-79.

To see it clearer of what I do and how to do it, you can see the video here

Thank you!

Options

Betreff: Lenovo Idepad 720S 14IKB - Cooling Performance Improvement

2019-08-27, 16:55 PM

Dozens of such videos and methods already exist. Also, I am not so certain if self-advertisement is really allowed in this forum, as it isn't in many. Also, the problem in this laptop is not the thermals, the problem is the limited TDP. Sure, there are slimmer laptops that get to 100°C, but this device doesn't seem to do so. A lot of laptops are just limited by the Intel Turbo Boost Power Long value, which is usually set to the standard 15W, but that obviously is not enough for even going full-performance on two cores, especially not on four at the same time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms