English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

08-27-2020

GB

17 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Miix 310-10icr Bios update has killed the item!!!!!

2020-08-27, 9:09 AM

OK, had this product for a few years, worked a treat, and was recently updated to win 10 ver 2004 without problems. 

Was using last night, and checked for updates using the 'lenovo vantage' software, which said there was a bios update. 

As I have used this program before without any problems, ok'd the download and installation, and left it to get on with it.

Returned to find that the machine needed a restart ot finish installation, so pressed 'restart now' and left it to restart.

BUT....came back to find unit dead....now, will not start, or boot up, nothing.....

Tried the 'volume up & press power on, still nothing....

So, basically, this 'official' update has now rendered this item useless.....

Have tried charging up, and leaving overnight, still no joy....

Lenovo themselves not interested, as 'discontinued item' and 'out of warranty'  now have an expensive 'brick'....

Any ideas, as really hacked off that this has happened using an official update!!!

Now stuck with no portable unit, and need this for work....

Might look to abandon lenovo, and buy something else, more reliable and supported....

Options

9 Posts

08-27-2020

GB

17 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Lenovo Miix 310-10icr Bios update has killed the item!!!!!

2020-08-29, 19:40 PM
So, browsing this site, it appears that other machine have also fallen foul of the 'bios update' from Lenovo. As someone stated, 'Lenovo obviously don't test their updates before dumping them on unsuspecting users, and, provide NO help whatsoever... Appears that Lenovo have little interest in what happens to 'customers' once they have paid their money.. 'Support' isn't in their dictionary it appears.. They could well take a leaf out of 'Dell's' book.. customer and technical support par excellence.... Look like they will get my business as Lenovo can't be bothered..
Options

9 Posts

08-27-2020

GB

17 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo Miix 310-10icr Bios update has killed the item!!!!!

2020-09-11, 18:00 PM

So, not even any comments from the community either............

About as much life here, as there is on Mars...............

Having trashed over £150 worth of equipment, Lenovo don't give a monkeys, so, I think the best thing is to leave a Trustpilot review, and buy Dell instead..

At least the have the decency to communicate with their customers....

Sent a letter to Lenovo UK 2 weeks ago, by recorded delivery. It was signed for, 4 days later..........yet to date.....nothing...........

Options

9 Posts

08-27-2020

GB

17 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

Re:Lenovo Miix 310-10icr Bios update has killed the item!!!!!

2020-09-24, 21:43 PM

So, latest 'update'

Having FINALLY managed to get in touch with Lenovo UK, we have the following 'reply'

Hello

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Technical Support.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issue with your device.

I would kindly ask you to perform following troubleshoot steps in order to try to solve the issue

FIX 1. Static discharge

This will get rid of any static electricity left in the circuits which may cause interference.

1. Please disconnect the unit from the charger/power supply and any accessories.

2. Now press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.

3. After 60 seconds put the charger/power supply back into the unit, turn it on and retest.

FIX 2.

One Key Recovery

You will need to perform a One-Key-Recovery (OKR), which will reinstall the operating system and reset your device to factory settings.

Any software issues present on the device will be eliminated in the process.

Please make sure that your device is plugged into the charging unit, otherwise the One-Key-Recovery will not work.

Before performing this procedure, please make sure to back up your files from all hard drives to an external storage device as all your files will be deleted from the device.

Once the procedure is done, you can then upload your files back onto the device again.

Make sure to remember to reinstall any programs you had on the device previously.

*** The ‘Novo-Button’ is located on the side inside a little hole. It needs to be accessed with a pin/needle*** (It is signaled by a bent arrow pointing to the left)

1. POWER OFF the device.

2. Poke the NOVO BUTTON, located on the side of the device.

3. A LOADING SCREEN will appear.

4. You should see a BLUE SCREEN.

5. Then a RECOVERY MENU will load.

6. Select 'SYSTEM RECOVERY', then confirm using the ENTER key.

7. Select either the option named 'INITIAL BACK UP' or 'TROUBLESHOOT' (this option is different for each device).

* When you get the option "INITIAL BACKUP' you can skip step 8 and 9

8. Select 'RESET THIS DEVICE', CONFIRM and then select 'REMOVE EVERYTHING’

9. When getting prompted for which drive to clean select 'ONLY THE DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED'.

10. Now recovery will start and takes about 30-120 mins.

11. Asks for RESTART.

12. Need to RECONFIGURE the device, as you did when you first purchased it.

If these updates do not solve the issue we would like to offer you an assessment and a chargeable repair service for your device.

Well, basically the first option did nothing, (as expected)

and the 2nd option?? Well, there is no 'One-key-recovery' ' option on the Miix 310-10icr... (ie: no 'novo button') so that's a non starter then...

So, we go for the 'assessment for a chargeable repair' option (cost £25 + VAT =£30)

And, off the item goes to Lenovo, along with a detailed explanation of the problem, (caused by their 'bios' update)

Couple of days later, this: 

On inspection of your Lenovo PC, the following parts are found to be needed. Please review the below quote and follow the link below to make payment within 5 working days on our payment portal. Please access the portal to view the payment methods we offer. Parts marked as compulsory must be fitted in order to complete the repair.

Note: Additional parts may be needed, once the repair is progressed. A further quote will be sent in this case for parts only.

Part Required Part Description QTY Reason for Replacement Curr Cost Compulsory

LNV-5B20L55197 MB YF80SG Z8350 WIN UMA 4G 64G 1 Failed Part GBP 100.01 No

Repair Fee GBP 25

VAT @ 20% GBP 25.01

Total Service Cost GBP 150.02

OK, so, note the 'bold' print..so on top of the £150, there 'may' be additional costs for anything else they might just 'find' 

Apparently the motherboard is u/s, (probably caused by the 'bios update' I imagine) and they want me to pay for their mistake, and any other items they choose??

I don't think so....the machine was 100% working OK before their 'untested' update was dropped on us... (I think it's basically a 'scam' to get money from us, rather than just 'reflash the bios and send it back)

I have refused the repair, and am now looking at alternative products from DECENT manufacturers, (Microsoft probably, as had great service from them when needed) in the form of a surface 2-1.

Also, check out the trustpilot reviews for this company.........and then don't touch another product from them.........(if you have any sense that is..)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete