English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-01-2020

AF

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo ideapad 720S-13ARR 81BR - BIOS 6KCN44WW [AMD-Vi: Firmware Bug]

2020-08-01, 14:30 PM

Hi, 

I'm running Linux Mint 20 and my laptop has BIOS 6KCN44WW. 

Recently I've noticed that it this errors:

[    0.080056] AMD-Vi: [Firmware Bug]: : IOAPIC[4] not in IVRS table

[    0.080059] AMD-Vi: [Firmware Bug]: : IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table

[    0.080060] AMD-Vi: [Firmware Bug]: : No southbridge IOAPIC found

[    0.080061] AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

I've search a bit and I've found this explanation:

Now about AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[0] not in IVRS table and AMD-Vi: No southbridge IOAPIC found in IVRS tableerrors. Those messages mean that your CMOS/BIOS setup is configured to enable IOMMU, but BIOS lacks IVRS table that is describing which is the address of IOMMU and SMBus Controller. IVRS = I/O Virtualization Reporting Structure.

According to the following AMD Document ( http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/12/48882_IOMMU.pdf ) ;

"The I/O Memory Management Unit (IOMMU) extends the AMD64 system architecture by adding support for address translation and system memory access protection on DMA transfers from peripheral devices. IOMMU also helps filter and remap interrupts from peripheral devices. 

The IOMMU enables several significant system-level enhancements: 

• Legacy 32-bit I/O device support on 64-bit systems (generally without requiring bounce buffers and expensive memory copies). 

• More secure user-level application access to selected I/O devices. 

• More secure virtual machine guest operating system access to selected I/O devices"

From Linux Kernel messages the firmware has a broken implementation and I was wondering if Lenovo reads this Forum and if its going to fix this in a future BIOS release.

Thank you,

~/gnf.pt

Options

151 Posts

05-14-2020

US

93 Signins

895 Page Views

• Views: 895
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Lenovo ideapad 720S-13ARR 81BR - BIOS 6KCN44WW [AMD-Vi: Firmware Bug]

2020-08-04, 6:40 AM

Hello,

These forums have another place to post questions about Linux.   It is listed on the right side of the forum view page.  Selecting Linux Operating Systems, then Other Linux Operating systems then reposting there would bring this problem to attention of users with some Linux Experience.

I use Linux too, I am using Fedora Linux as I type this.  Unfortunately my model has functioned pretty much flawlessly, so I have not learned much about hardware driver issues :(

I am using an Ideapad 330.

Linux distributions are maintained by volunteer programmers and different distributions have different amounts of support for different computer makes.  Since my Lenovo works well using Fedora Linux, my only suggestion is to download a LIVE USB WORKSTATION version from getfedora.org.  Use the Live USB creation software available from the exact same webpage to create you bootable USB.  Boot from it and see what happens.   I hope your problem goes away, I want to think positively.

Incidentally, you are booting using the modern UEFI mode?   Legacy Bios mode is notorious for compatibilty problems.

If Fedora does not solve your issue, find the Forum for your Linux flavor.  Debian, Ubuntu, or whatever it is, and post questions inside that forum.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

6 Posts

08-01-2020

AF

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-08-04, 18:05 PM

Hi, 

The problem is with the implementation o IVRS table not with Linux Kernel. 

Apparently Lenovo didn't implement it properly (or at all).

My question is: Is Lenovo going to provide a new BIOS release with that fixed?

Thank you,

~/gnfpt

Options

151 Posts

05-14-2020

US

93 Signins

895 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-08-05, 12:26 PM

Hello,

First, the short answer to your question regarding when Lenovo will provide a new bios incorporating the exact data table you mentioned:  I have no idea.  

I am not a Lenovo employee, and I presume your question has never reached one.

I responded to your posting, simply because I noticed it has gone unanswered for several days.  The vast majority of these forum posts have some kind of reply to the post within at most 2 days.  If you want a direct answer from a Lenovo employee, set your mouse on the word "SUPPORT" above, and find Warranty Support link, and ask there.   If your Warranty has expired, contact a repair station and submit a request for quotation for repair services.  (Often referred to as a "Ticket")

I suggested you experiment with Fedora Linux because of this recent press release from Lenovo:  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Lenovo+Fedora+support

Just below the word "SUPPORT" above  is the phrase "Knowledge Base"  Click there and search for Linux Support.   A small number of Lenovo machines have been certified by Lenovo to function under a limited number of Linux distributions.  Review that list carefully and see if Your preferred combination of IdeaPad 720S and Linux Mint 20 are included.   Using supported configurations of hardware and software is encouraged.

That said regarding support, I know my Ideapad 330 is NOT on the supported list, yet as I mentioned before, it seems to work great with Fedora.   It may help, that Red Hat Enterprise Linux [RHEL} is on the supported linux distribution list, and Fedora is the open source distribution version for Red Hat.  Have you tried loading Fedora yet?

Sincerely, and Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Options

151 Posts

05-14-2020

US

93 Signins

895 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-08-07, 14:10 PM

Hello,

Has your repair station responded to your question?  (This communication thread is NOT how to contact them....)

Usedtoberich

PS  I am curious how my suggested experiment with Fedora resulted?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete