English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-28-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 7

Lonovo IdeaPad 330s Upgrade possible at service center in India?

2020-06-28, 11:34 AM

Hello, 

I have just bought a Lenovo IdeaPad 330s 14IKB U1. It came with a Intel i5 (8th gen) and a 1 TB HDD.

I have gone through a few laptop disassembly videos and so i know that there is a m.2 nvme ssd slot on this model.

I wanted to know if I could approach a Lenovo service center to do the upgrade for me and also to clone/ reinstall Windows for me. 

I bought the device and am located in India. My device is currently under the standard warranty from Lenovo.

Solved! See the solution
Options

67 Posts

05-14-2020

US

42 Signins

455 Page Views

• Views: 455
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Lonovo IdeaPad 330s Upgrade possible at service center in India?

2020-06-28, 21:39 PM

Hello,

To find detailed system configuration for your machine, jot down your system id string, (mine is Lenovo Ideapad 330-17IKB)  Your Product type.  (there is a short and long id string for this, mine is 81DM  or 81DMxxxxxxxxxxx) 

Navigate your mouse to the top of this page and click on SUPPORT

Click the PC button.

Click the Laptop botton.

In the middle  of the page will be two drop down menus, select the items that match the information you jotted down.

On the screen that comes up, type your machine serial number.  (I won't tell you mine, because then you could access some limited services I paid for for my exclusive use.)

The System Maintenance manual will be visible.   Open that and read the exact status of your system board, whether or not the M.2 plug is present, and whether or not the M.2 plug inside is electrically configured to function with an SSD.    IT DEPENDS!

Then click the Warranty button, to learn the status of your Warranty.  (I only ever access this pages after my Warranty has expired.)  IF you want to you can purchase extended Warranty support time.  Conduct communications directly with Warranty support personnel.  Request a quotation for the service from the Lenovo repair team you would submit the machine to.   This communication DID NOT REACH THEM AT ALL!!!

I am in USA, as a common consumer, I would either purchase the parts and install them myself, or find a local computer technician to accomplish the same things.  If this was for work, I would submit the machine to my IT support department.

Nowadays Windows 10 activation keys are NOT tied into the hard drive.  If another copy is installed, Microsoft will automatically validate the installation during the automated update procedures, with NO action required from the user.   (Replacement of the system board (mother board) does require special registration action.   You are not proposing replacing the mother board.)

{ If you do want to retain the original registration keys, use Windows documentation to create a bootable USB drive from the Recovery Partition installed upon your existing hard drive.  OR download the system copy present and accessible from the same page you found your system manual. ]  I usually just download a system install image from Microsoft.com.  That image us usually much closer to the latest update, and saves hours and hours of Windows automated updates.  ]

Respectfully,

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

06-28-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-06-29, 9:34 AM

Thank you for the reply.

I tried to follow the steps. Couldn't locate the exact information you were talking about but here is what I found:

1. I got through the support page to my device information page (it detected my serial number and got me straight to it)
    1. there was no System Maintenance manual. there was a user manual and a Hardware maintenance manual (I attached the hardware maintenance manual only because it would only take 1 file). I could not find any details about the m.2 slot or its configuration in either.
    2. I looked at the parts menu on the left side of the support page and found upto a 512GB M.2 PCIe ssd (SDK 1101 512G M.2 PCIe 2280 SSD) under the compatible parts sections

I would also prefer to do the upgrade myself (looks easy enough to do from the videos I saw) but asked the question about Lenovo doing it because I don't want any issues with my warranty. 

My model number as per the back of my laptop is- 81F4 (Lenovo Ideapad 330s- 14IKB U1)

My MTM is 81F401M5IN

If you can use this info to find the details about the m.2 slot (whether it is there or can be used) it would be a big help.

Options

67 Posts

05-14-2020

US

42 Signins

455 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-06-29, 12:46 PM

Hello,

Yes the Hardware manual contains the proper information.

When I review the specifications spreadsheet, the format leads me to believe the system disk that is installed is already an SSD instead of a conventional HDD.  This is confusing because the parts list item 8, only mentions HDD.  Are you certain you typed the correct serial number?  It is probably best to let the software autodetect, the serial #, but that only works in Windows OS.  If this confusion persists, ask your Warranty support contacts to clarify an apparent mistake within system documentation.

I replaced a conventional HDD with SSD in different system recently.  For that excercise, the SSD and HDD were exactly the same external sizes.  I transferred the fixing bracket from the old HDD onto the new SSD.  I chose to purchase an SSD with exactly the same interface as existing hardware, which was for me, SATA.  Then the new system drive simply fit perfectly, there was no transition cable.  If the new drive is a different interface format, some kind of transition cable may be necessary because two slots may not be in exact position to match together.

My presumption is you intend to replace the existing system drive with the new one, resulting in the same number of system drives in place within the unit, one.

If you want to install a second system drive, you will need a fixing bracket and, I think, some kind of short adapter cable for that too.  Of course, there needs to be space inside for the additional drive.  It is common to remove an optical drive, and use that space for the second system drive.  If yours does not have an optical drive, this may not be possible.   A fixing bracket is mandatory, having parts rattle around inside the case is a bad thing.  Often they become unplugged and then obviously stop working.  Third party sources may have a fixing bracket, Lenovo parts might or might not have a bracket available, depending if they ever sold these units equipped with two internal system drives.

If I was installing a second drive, I would leave OS software alone, and configure the new one entirely as additional storage.  If you do choose to install OS on the new one, erase the booting version of the OS from the old one.  And configure that space as additional available storage.  The recovery partition can remain in place on the old one.

While you have it open, it would be just a few seconds additional effort to add more RAM.  I did not inspect whether your system already has maximum ram installed.  If maximum RAM is already installed, it would be needless to replace it.   If would indeed be an improvement, add the ram card too.    If there is already replaceable RAM installed, just remove the existing one and insert the new larger sized one in the same space. Check the parts listing for potential designations.

Have a great day!

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

06-28-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-06-29, 16:09 PM

Thank You for your continued responses, especially when I am not able to provide the full information to you.

The auto detected machine type model is 81F401M5IN

In my machine pullout tab it clearly says that the system is equipped with a 1TB HDD spinning at 5400rpm. I am able to confirm this from windows task manager as well.

I am looking to insert a M.2 format SSD into the empty slot (at least according to my research) which is on the motherboard. After this upgrade I plan to move my OS (windows 10) onto the SSD and use the HDD already in the system as extra storage. I do not plan to replace the HDD already on my System. I plan to use the M.2 ssd and HDD at the same time.

To that end, I would request you to please take a look at the resources (including the product page and pdf from the last message) and tell me the following:

1. What type of M.2 interface is present- M.2 Sata AHCI, M.2 PCIe AHCI or M.2 PCIe Nvme
  2. What is the maximum size of SSD I can use in the M.2 slot if I plan to keep the HDD running as well (apparently there is a limit to the size of the SSD if the HDD is to remain in place)

Also I am aware that the max I can have in the system is 20GB of Ram in the DDR4 Sodim format @2400Mgz (max supported by the 8th gen i5 on my system). I have 8GB installed already so do not need to upgrade that for my current use case. But the information you provided about the Ram was greatly appreciated.

Rajarshi Chattopadhyay

Options

67 Posts

05-14-2020

US

42 Signins

455 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-06-29, 23:29 PM

Hello,

Page 26 of the Hardware Manual you provided has the statement regarding SSD and showing M.2 PCIe style with up to 1TB capacity.

Page 27 a continuation of the same Specification Table says 2 Operating Systems are installed.. Windows 10 RS3   and   FreeDOS

In the last few pages of the Hardware Manual is a diagram of the various major components.  Item 8 is a conventional HDD.  (The SSD I mentioned my personal experience with was also this exact shape.)  Item 11 is the SSD, which more resembles a circuit card.  I have not handled one of these yet.  Once the case is open it will be easy to see which is present.

To take advantage of modern processor technologies, QUAD CORE actually has 4 independant microprocessors, a large number of process requests are initiated by the operating system, and these run independently in parralel, with benefit of much faster system performance, but the order and timing of completion is not defined.  So at boot up, if two copies of the OS are present within the system, it is not defined which copy gets used, or sometimes parts of both copies are used.  This leads to weird and hard to figure out system software errors and black screens.

To prevent this, remove the OS from the existing drive before installing it upon the new one.

It is a new system but of course BACKUP your personal data, and just for fun, back it up again before you start disassembly.

Check the BIOS screens carefully.  Infrequently an option to activate RAID or another multidisk backup scheme is present.  In these scenarios 2 disks are maintained as mirror images of each other.  If you want to use both disks to provide 2TB of capacity, if present, deactivate the disk mirroring settings.  Sometimes at boot up when 2 disks are detected the BIOS will invoke the multi disk scenario, unless it is specifically adjusted not to.

Have a great day!

Usedtoberich

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

06-28-2020

US

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-06-30, 7:12 AM

Thank you for you reply and the vital information.

I will keep in mind your suggestion about backing up the data (and backing up again for the fun of it). 

I went through the pages of the manual you mentioned and it had no information about the protocol of the ssd beyond PCIe so I guess I will have to contact support for it.

Thank you for the Your Help.

It is greatly appreciated

Rajarshi Chattopadhyay

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete