English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-21-2020

DE

10 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

M.2 SSD changes into Disk 1 and Sata HDD becomes Disk 0 on clean Windows installation !

2020-09-21, 11:13 AM

Hello,

My drive: M.2 SSD is not staying as Disk 0 ever since I installed the internal HDD.

It happens, when I try to CLEAN install Windows on the M.2, then it becomes the Disk 1, and the internal SATA drive turns into Disk 0 !!!

I tried few things in the BIOS, it didn't work ... I also converted the M.2 drive from MBR to GPT ... that didn't work either!

My problem is, if the sata Disk becomes 0, then I cannot Backup the Windows on it.

And if I want to a clean Win install again, I have to disconnect the sata drive first in order to have the M.2 as Disk 0 ... this is obviously very inconvenient.

Is there a better solution to it? is there a way to keep the DISK numbering unchanged?

Thanks.

Options

1015 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

122 Signins

5651 Page Views

• Views: 5651
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:M.2 SSD changes into Disk 1 and Sata HDD becomes Disk 0 on clean Windows installation !

2020-09-21, 11:46 AM

Hello FirstLawAlways,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Does this happen when you perform a clean install onto the M.2 SSD , with both drives connected to the machine ?

If so, then try to have the Sata HDD completely disconnected from the device while installing Windows 10 freshly on the M.2 SSD.

I would've thought this to be something of the past, as performing fresh install of the OS required you to only have the SSD installed to make it primary.

If it is disconnected when you perform the installation onto the M.2 SSD. It could be that the Sata HDD still carries the recovery partition of the device, which messes up things.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

07-21-2020

DE

10 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:M.2 SSD changes into Disk 1 and Sata HDD becomes Disk 0 on clean Windows installation !

2020-09-21, 18:43 PM

Thank you for your reply Voithos, I appreciate it.

Does this happen when you perform a clean install onto the M.2 SSD , with both drives connected to the machine ?

Yes, that's exactly when it happens. If I format/delete the M2 for a clean install while the Sata HDD is connected,

then both the drives change their disk numbering, as follows:

Sata HDD = Disk 0

M2 = Disk 1

As I also mentioned, I prioritized the M2 for booting first in the BIOS, but it didn't help.

If so, then try to have the Sata HDD completely disconnected from the device while installing Windows 10 freshly on the M.2 SSD.

That's what I would like to avoid ... I wouldn't really like to open up the laptop every time I would do a clean installation :)

If there is NO way of numbering the disks (SSD & Sata HDD) permanently ...

then, is there a way to disable the Sata HDD temporarily (without opening the laptop) while the M2 gets the clean installation?

If it is disconnected when you perform the installation onto the M.2 SSD. It could be that the Sata HDD still carries the recovery partition of the device, which messes up things.

No, the Sata HDD was completely empty with no partition on it !

When both disks are connected and formatted through the Windows installation window, then the result also as follows:

SATA HDD = Disk 0

M2 = Disk 1

There should be a solution for this via BIOS ... no?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete