Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-14-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Monitor is the only screen that works?

2021-04-14, 13:31 PM

Hello, all. This morning when I tried to turn on my computer, I discovered that only the external monitor displays anything. In the monitor settings, it was registered as a single screen named "1 | 2". I cannot move tabs to the actual computer screen or do anything else, it's as if the computer just stopped registering its existence.

The external monitor seems to work fine. I am typing this post from it, actually! But I have to use two screens to do school work efficiently, and I am an overworked college student with very little time to spare. So... I don't really have the flexibility to wait on a replacement laptop. If possible, I'd really, really like to fix this on my own. 

Options

4067 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

253 Signins

22693 Page Views

• Views: 22693
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Monitor is the only screen that works?

2021-04-14, 13:39 PM

Hello kurtszardos,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You may try to check on this discussion and let us know if this might help.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

04-14-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-04-14, 14:15 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. When I choose "extended," the external monitor appears to no longer be the "primary" monitor, but the regular computer screen is still black. The only thing that changes, in this case, is that I can no longer use my external monitor either, since it brings all my tabs to the black screen. I cannot click anything to confirm that I want it to be "extended," so the setting is reversed and goes back to being "duplicated."

Options

1189 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

497 Signins

6145 Page Views

• Views: 6145
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-14, 14:58 PM

Hello,

I am always confused by the duplicate monitor modes.   :(

My suggestion is to try a "reset" of your system status.

First using the X in the corner of windows, close ALL applications.

Then right click on minimized applications and also close those using the "X"

Now bring up the screen on the laptop to being the only one active.

Then unplug all USB devices, docking stations, speakers, even bluetooth devices.

Then using the touchpad ( or mouse pointer) select within the windows power menu "RESTART"

One windows restarts, connect the external monitor and with only the Windows 10 desktop active, work to activate the outside screen.

Then slowly add complexity, but for a week or so try to enforce "one application at a time" and also try to remember to select the power menu "SHUTDOWN" command instead of "sleep" or "hibernate."

I hope this helps!

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms