Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-26-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

My laptop will not boot from usb

2021-01-26, 20:46 PM

I am trying to login from  my usb in order to install linux and get rid of win 10. But after several attempts, the laptop does not recognize the usb boot device at all.

Answer
Options

901 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

361 Signins

4465 Page Views

• Views: 4465

Re:My laptop will not boot from usb

2021-01-26, 22:37 PM

Hello,

The problem could be your bootable media.  To test this, try another USB bootable media, and load  fedora Workstation from getfedora.org on it for testing purposes.  Use the fedora media writer GUI software from the same webpage to "burn" your usb.  Then to be sure BIOS settings are correct enter your BIOS and on the "save and exit page" select the toggles for "Factory Defaults"  BIOS parameters and "Optimize for OS"  (secure boot mode should be active this way.)  Then perform a cold shutdown, insert the USB while the machine is shutdown, and, finally, boot from the USB.  If it boots and you are not interested in fedora distribution, you need to formulate your desired distribution's bootable media with these features:

A)  Configured for UEFI booting mode, and gpt partition tables.  For modern Lenovo computers, Legacy booting with mbr is no longer seamless, both during the very first boot up and then months later for operational issues.  If the distribution can not be found with UEFI booting capability, it is too old and unsupported for practical use.

B)  Security keys loaded for booting under Secure Boot security protocols.  There are two workarounds, a) unset the secure boot toggle within BIOS, or b) learn how to self certify the media and manually insert security keys.  I think both methods are equally secure.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

PS>  I have been using linux for a couple of decades with experience with several distributions.  AT&T Unix System V, Slackware, Solaris, Suse, Ubuntu, and now I use Fedora, but also Raspbian on some ARM boards.   I see little practical difference between the various distributions, although the commands are a little different between the various flavors.  The first distribution you succeed in booting and installing will do everything your "favorite" distribution will do.

Replies(5)
Options

137 Posts

01-27-2010

Canada

450 Signins

3465 Page Views

• Views: 3465
  • Message 2 of 6

2021-01-26, 21:12 PM

Could you please let us know the model of laptop you are trying to boot form USB.

Can I please ask if you are presented the boot when you press F12 from a cold boot?

Currently Using: ThinkPad Yoga 370, ThinkPad X1 Tablet, YogaBook C930, Yoga 910
Options

3 Posts

01-26-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-01-26, 21:38 PM

I have the Lenovo Ideapad 310. To get to the boot menu, you have to use a pin in a hole located on the left of the laptop, which was a problem getting to it, but I managed to do it now. I have the usb boot enabled, but it still won't boot from there when I turn on the laptop

Answer
Options

901 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

361 Signins

4465 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-01-26, 22:37 PM

Hello,

The problem could be your bootable media.  To test this, try another USB bootable media, and load  fedora Workstation from getfedora.org on it for testing purposes.  Use the fedora media writer GUI software from the same webpage to "burn" your usb.  Then to be sure BIOS settings are correct enter your BIOS and on the "save and exit page" select the toggles for "Factory Defaults"  BIOS parameters and "Optimize for OS"  (secure boot mode should be active this way.)  Then perform a cold shutdown, insert the USB while the machine is shutdown, and, finally, boot from the USB.  If it boots and you are not interested in fedora distribution, you need to formulate your desired distribution's bootable media with these features:

A)  Configured for UEFI booting mode, and gpt partition tables.  For modern Lenovo computers, Legacy booting with mbr is no longer seamless, both during the very first boot up and then months later for operational issues.  If the distribution can not be found with UEFI booting capability, it is too old and unsupported for practical use.

B)  Security keys loaded for booting under Secure Boot security protocols.  There are two workarounds, a) unset the secure boot toggle within BIOS, or b) learn how to self certify the media and manually insert security keys.  I think both methods are equally secure.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

PS>  I have been using linux for a couple of decades with experience with several distributions.  AT&T Unix System V, Slackware, Solaris, Suse, Ubuntu, and now I use Fedora, but also Raspbian on some ARM boards.   I see little practical difference between the various distributions, although the commands are a little different between the various flavors.  The first distribution you succeed in booting and installing will do everything your "favorite" distribution will do.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

01-26-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-01-26, 23:05 PM

Thank you for the solution. I got to that stage. Now the installation is giving me problems

and it stopped doing the installation. I will try again and see if it gives the same message.

Options

901 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

361 Signins

4465 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-01-26, 23:32 PM

Hello,

For those error messages either the install media is corrupted, or the installation drive is full.  Do you have Intel OPTANE device?  Linux installers have trouble skipping the tiny electronically fast OPTANE device.  How much disk space do you have for Linux?  The x86_64 or AMD64 architecture is the correct one.  The OPTANE device is a tiny ssd that serves as a fast cache between the processor memory management unit and the actual system drive.  For installation of linux you need to turn it off with a bios toggle.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms