Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-22-2021

Indonesia

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 3

Notebook starts stuttering when playing games

2021-07-22, 4:28 AM

Hello

So I've been using IdeaPad 5 14ITL05 for around six months now. So far the experience has been satisfactory. But, recently whenever I play games, there’s occasional stuttering. Specifically, my most recently played games in which session I noticed the stuttering happens are Genshin Impact and Yakuza 0. Stuttering usually happens 30 minutes in but can be as bad as 1 to 2 minutes in (notepad freshly started, the first thing I did on my laptop in the morning is playing games since I'm on holiday). Stuttering persists when I switch apps, but when I close the game, usually the stuttering is gone after a few seconds.

I find this pretty weird since I used to play Genshin Impact in second lowest setting without any problem even when playing for 2 hours or more. The notebook also used to run Yakuza Kiwami smoothly (of which system requirements are similar to Yakuza 0) in high setting. Well, stuttering did happen sometimes whenever I play those games after using my IdeaPad several hours for work, but usually restarting the notebook once or twice solves the problem. Now I play both on lowest setting possible yet I encounter the problem mentioned. Note that when I monitor my resources using Task Manager while playing, resource usage is pretty much normal (CPU usage below 50%, memory usage below  80%, and disk usage below 10% when not opening any other program). Disk usage did sometimes reach 100% usage but I think I solved that one by uninstalling FeedbackHub, since I haven’t encountered said problem for a few days now. I don't think the problem is overheating since 2 minutes is a very short time.

A behavior I noticed is, when stuttering occurs and I switch app from the game to desktop without closing the game, usually the stuttering's gone after a short while, but after some time it once agan stutters.

I’ve tried some solutions I found online but none worked, such as following:

• Running malware scan
  • Updating all drivers
  • Updating Windows
  • Updating BIOS
  • Checkdisk
  • Freeing storage up
  • Lowering settings on Nvidia Control Panel
  • EDIT: Reinstalling Windows without removing files
  • EDIT: Steps provided by Voithos

Any other idea on what can I do to solve the problem? 

My system specs, in case it is needed:

Processor : Intel Core i5-1135G7 (4C / 8T, 2.4 / 4.2GHz, 8MB)
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce MX450 2GB GDDR6
Memory : 8GB Soldered DDR4-3200
Storage : 512GB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe

EDIT: turns out there's still a problem with my laptop disk usage as attached, though this issue doesn't always happen.

EDIT 2: 

I finally have a clue on why my notepad starts stuttering when playing games by observing the performance tab on task manager. Turns out my CPU speed was reduced to around 0.7 GHz from originally 2.4 GHz when the stuttering occurs. Is it possible that this happens because of overheating? I tried clearing my notepad by factory resetting it. The problem still persists so I think it's most probably not because of background processes. After finding this out I tried monitoring my CPU's temperature. On idle, temperature ranges from 55-70 degrees celsius. I don't really know if this is normal or not.

Options

2811 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

299 Signins

14121 Page Views

• Views: 14121
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Notebook starts stuttering when playing games

2021-07-22, 9:34 AM

Hi Reinhart_Wilson,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Genshin Impact recently had an update did it not ? 2.0 ? This might have added things that is causing stuttering. 

The good thing about nothing showing in task manager, is that it's then most probably driver or power related.

Please try some of the steps below in an attempt to remedy the issue:

Step 1. Static Discharge on Laptop and AC adapter.
- Remove all cables attached to the laptop (hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Keep the AC adapter connected to the laptop, but disconnected from the wall socket *Important*
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.
- Try it a couple of times (2-3)

Step 2. BIOS Load Default Settings.
- Select the Start Menu, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings
:or:
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the Novo Button - The button can be reached/clicked by an unfolded paperclip or similar.
- Choose the BIOS setup.
- If you do not have a Novo Button, then repeatedly pressing F1 of F2 (FN+F1 or F2) or Shift + Power button on startup will take you to the BIOS.
- Navigate to the EXIT tab
- Press "Load Default Settings/Optimize Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes

Step 3. Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).
- This works like a Display driver cleanup utility. 
- Download and run the DDU, while following the instructions on the page.
- After the uninstaller, download and install the latest display drivers from the Support Page
- Just plot in the serial number, then head to Drivers & Software - Manual Update - GPU/Graphics/Video section.

- If the issue persists, then try the latest drivers from Nvidia's own site.
- If the problem persists continue below:

Step 4. Clean up corrupted files through CMD.
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the command:  sfc /scannow
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.

4. When you enter the device again, run Command Prompt(Admin)
5. Run the following command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
**Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.

Step 5. Perform a Clean Boot
- On the search bar, type msconfig and hit Enter. 
- Navigate to the "Services" tab.
- Check the check box Hide all Microsoft services, click on Disable all and click OK. 
- Under Startup tab, click on open Task Manager. 
- Under startup tab in Task Manager, select the startup items and click Disable. 
- Close Task Manager, click "Ok" in the 'System Configuration' tab.
- Restart PC and test playing your games.

- If the issue is gone, then there's a program on your PC that is causing the stuttering on certain loads.

- Try adding the programs back 1 by 1, test the games, until the stuttering comes back, and you'll have found the culprit.

- If the issue persists after Clean Boot, then continue below:

Step 6. System Board & Power Management Updates:

Make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset and Power Management drivers for your device:
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device, click the search icon and select your device, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS, Chipset and Power Management section.
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".
**Note: Please close all other applications and make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing the BIOS update. Do not turn off the device while the BIOS update is running as this can cause serious damage to the motherboard and prevent the device from functioning properly or at all.

Step 7. Remove Lenovo Power/Energy Management and/or Lenovo Vantage.

- If this is power related, then some posters have reported removing these programs (in case they currently have a faulty version) has helped fix fan/power/heat problems with their device..

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

07-22-2021

Indonesia

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Notebook starts stuttering when playing games

2021-07-22, 11:35 AM

Thanks for providing solutions, I'll definitely try those when I have the time. I'm currently reinstalling Windows to see if that helps. Kinda takes too long to reinstall though, I dont think it's a good sign.

As for the 2.0 update, I don't think that's the case, since the notebook also cannot run Yakuza 0 well when it used to be able to run Yakuza Kiwami very smoothly. FYI those two are very similar, with only difference is in story and some subcontents

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)