Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

06-08-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 11 of 23

Re:Only 4gb of RAM (integrated stick) is detected, my IdeaPad 320 has 8Gb installed RAM by default.

2020-12-05, 22:09 PM

If you're still facing the issue check my latest reply, I have found the root cause and a possible temporary fix.

@Deep_mek  

Options

1 Posts

12-26-2020

Egypt

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 12 of 23

Re:Only 4gb of RAM (integrated stick) is detected, my IdeaPad 320 has 8Gb installed RAM by default.

2020-12-26, 12:56 PM

Hello there,

This happened to me with a new laptop, however after bios upgrade it is working fine for 6 hours for the first time.

Here are bios details:

SMBIOSBIOSVersion
EJCN21WW

Regards,

Ihab

Options

12 Posts

06-08-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 13 of 23

2020-12-26, 14:57 PM
Just see if it keeps working, if it works, that should be fine. If not, take it to the service center. If you read my whole post you'd know, it starts with this, then eventually becomes loose to the point when it doesn't get detected at all. Bios upgrade resets the cached part info, so the motherboard has to remap all parts again, and if the connection is okay at that point it'll show the entire RAM.
Options

6 Posts

01-28-2021

Canada

27 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 14 of 23

2021-01-31, 2:43 AM

Thank you, thank you very much kanishkarathore for suggesting adding a piece of folded paper under the Sodimm. I have the same laptop an Ideapad 320-151 KB Touch with 12GB of RAM with the same problem. I assumed my 8GB went bad and purchased a 16GB to test. It worked once or twice to reach 20GB total but promptly went back to 4GB after a couple of restarts in Windows 10. When I inserted the paper like you suggested the RAM was instantly detected up to 20GB again (4GB soldered + 16GB Crucial CT16G4SFD832A). I wasn't too crazy about the footprint of the paper on the motherboard and the fact that paper can be flammable when about 480F is reached. I tried a pencil eraser (smaller footprint) and found when heated it became softer and was squeezed down again to a level not detecting the 16GB Ram. 

Now I've replaced the eraser with a cut piece of the button of an on/off wall light switch. The footprint is small, the plastic is hard and usually resist flammability when coming from an electrical component . I also added a small piece of double sided tape to the plastic piece on the motherboard side so it doesn't shift too much. With the footprint on the motherboard being so small I doubt it will overheat. I expect the surrounding sections of the motherboard where the plastic on/off switch makes contact should dissipate heat (I hope, time will tell). I'm in my second day of testing and will update later when my laptop has been running for sometime. For the test period I'm using my 8GB SODIMM which turned out to be in perfect working condition. When everything is proven to work for a while I'll return to the 16GB Crucial RAM to get my system back to 20GB. I could have made my lift with a piece of metal, but was worried, if it ever came loose in the case at some point, I'm afraid it could make an electrical contact and short something on the motherboard. So I prefer the risk of a small piece of plastic inside instead of paper or metal.

Thank you again for identifying the probable cause of this SODIMM RAM recognition problem. I had been searching and testing everything I could try to find the cause. Your diagnosis appears to be head on.

Options

12 Posts

06-08-2020

United States of America

21 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 15 of 23

2021-01-31, 20:54 PM
Great to know it helped you. After the initial detection, next time I tried it, it detected 8gb and the got those lines on screen which was frozen which basically translated to RAM being removed while system was doing something on it. Tried for couple more days and just gave up. Your approach looks good so the slot doesn't move, I might try it if it works which I don't have high hopes for in my case.
Options

6 Posts

01-28-2021

Canada

27 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 16 of 23

2021-02-08, 3:23 AM

It's been a week so far testing with the 8GB module. All went well and the system always recognized the full 12GB of ram. Now I'm beginning the testing with the 16GB module and the system recognizes the full 20GB of ram of the system. I added a few pics to show the lifter I've created by cutting the button of a wall on/off switch. Then I used a file to reduce the height to exactly what was needed to exert the necessary pressure to maintain the full recognition of the 16GB module of RAM. The lifter has a small piece of double sided tape on the motherboard side to prevent it from sliding off. The 16 GB memory clocks down to 2133 MHz even tough it's rated well above to match the 4GB soldered on board.

16GB memory module with the plastic lifter from a wall on/off switch

With a sample of an on/off switch used to make the plastic lifter.

The Crucial 16GB used

Options

6 Posts

01-28-2021

Canada

27 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 17 of 23

2021-02-13, 18:42 PM

I upgraded my HDD to a 1TB SSD, an ODD caddy to insert the original 1TB HDD, removed the DVD drive (will connect using a cable as needed) and had to open the case. Immediately afterwards I noticed the system would only recognize 4GB of ram again. I reinstalled the module and noticed the metal clips on the side were not as tight as before when snapping them in place. I experimented with several options. The first was moving the plastic lifter closer to the socket, which didn't work. I finally decided to make another riser about 1mm higher than the first. It worked to have the full 20GB of ram, but I noticed the module was now at an upward angle and was the highest point in the system.

To prevent too much pressure on the module from the case, I added two small washers in the corners of the module to increase the gap. I also did not insert the two screws in the middle where the module is. This results in the left side not snapping closed as before. I had to cut the plastic top sections of the side ports to clear them. The system appears to work and recognize the ram again. Time will tell if it is lasting. Before I had opened the case for the SSD upgrade everything was fine. With 20Gb of RAM and a 1TB SSD drive this system is now fast again even though the CPU is not as fast as the modern ones. The left side is not as nice looking as before, but I much prefer a responsive system to looks. 

Here is the difference between the old lower riser with the new higher one, about 1 mm in difference.

The added washers to increase the gap between the case sections.

Easy decision for me, the laptop had lost three screws with time. So it was easy to decide these were the ones to leave empty.

In this pic I cut off the top section of one USB port and the audio out jack. I've since cut all the plastic blockages from the ports.

The picture makes it looks worse than it is. I might seal the top and bottom gaps with a touch of silicone later if all proves to be lasting with time.

Options

6 Posts

01-28-2021

Canada

27 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 18 of 23

2021-03-21, 0:54 AM

Since I last posted, my Lenovo laptop had been holding steady at 19.9Gb of ram. I've had it convert video files till it gets warm for days at a time. Tonight it came back to 4GB of ram only. I was thinking I had overheated the module and it was toast. I tested my old 12GB module and it didn't work either. I played around with it and finally found a place where both modules work.  I'm now back with 19.9GB of ram. I wrapped the module with an elastic (found at the grocery when you buy broccoli). I had to remove the riser button so now I can close the case completely. I'll see how it holds when the system has cooled and restarted later.  So far I restarted the system several times and it keeps holding at 19.9 GB of ram. The elastic in the pic is the same one that was subjected to intense heat before. It wasn't affected at all by the heat so far.

Options

1 Posts

08-03-2021

Iran (Islamic Republic of)

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 19 of 23

2021-08-03, 22:21 PM

Caused by the quality of RAM Slot, clock's pin may not attach to the RAM, carefully :((

The best solution is to input something like a plastic pad on installed RAM to enforce it when you assemble the laptop again.
It works and detects. 

erfanarjatG  :)

Options

1 Posts

07-16-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 20 of 23

2021-08-23, 15:29 PM

Hey guys I was just reading this I have an idea pad five 15.6 AMD Ryzen 5 integrated can't really use the software either for gaming or to set your settings because windows will update with a 27.0 and just kill it so you have to reinstall the Radeon software then after that windows will update again so kind of got to pick and choose your battle that's when I noticed only 4 gigs of memory, in the computer description. Install Mera System and well it validated the description of my laptop which runs fine it just hesitates and pauses no matter what I can have it set on the highest settings and it just thinks it's on 4 gigs and it acts like it's on 40 gigs I got eight gigs so you live I like 32 I don't have time not recognizing the other four what's even the point of putting a 32 stick in. Am I going to have the same problems will 16 gig only recognize eight? If anyone can help I've tried everything except throwing the laptop in the trash or stripping it for parts leaving it up on cinder blocks. Excuse any typos I'm doing voice to text any help would be appreciated though. Mera will tell you exactly 4 gigs not 3.9 or 5.2 before gigs on 8 gig stick,,grrr

IMG_20210823_112730421_HDR.jpg IMG_20210823_112746271_HDR.jpg IMG_20210823_112730421_HDR.jpg IMG_20210823_112700166_HDR.jpg
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms