Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

0 Posts

02-06-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

Problem waking laptop using external mouse or keyboard when lid is closed

2020-02-06, 13:11 PM

My new IdeaPad 330-15IGM has an attached external monitor. I need to be able to wake the laptop with the lid closed, just as I could with my previous ASUS laptop, by touching either the external keyboard or mouse. So far I haven't found a way to make that happen. Instead I must lift the lid a little, wait for the external monitor to come on, and then close the lid. (The laptop is set to "do nothing" when the lid is closed, and that works fine.)

In Device Manager, the "ELAN Keyboard Filter Device" (which I assume is the computer's built-in keyboard) is set to "Allow this device to wake the computer." However that keyboard is not working at all (as explained in my previous post).  Device Manager shows four other keyboard devices, each one named "HID Keyboard Device." Each of them, along with the built-in keyboard, is set to allow waking the computer (since I don't know which one relates to the actual plugged-in keyboard). Under "Mice and other pointing devices," there are two items. The "HID-compliant Mouse" is set to wake the computer, but the "Synaptics Pointing Device" does not have a Power Management tab. (That must be the touchpad.)

Perhaps my problem relates to the external hub I have plugged into one of the computer's USBs. It has its own power supply, and that's where both the external mouse and keyboard are attached.

I did follow detailed directions in one of the Community posts that explains how to use the Command Prompt to instruct specific devices to wake the computer. I chose the mouse and keyboard listed there--the ones whose names ended in "(001)" because there are multiple mice and keyboards, each ending with different numbers within the parentheses. The two commands were accepted, but I have no way of knowing if I should have chosen names that ended in, like, (003) or (007), etc.

Thanks in Advance if someone can help.

Options

433 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

155 Signins

9457 Page Views

• Views: 9457
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Problem waking laptop using external mouse or keyboard when lid is closed

2020-02-06, 13:33 PM

Hi LilOldMe.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I really want to help here, please try this troubleshooting steps.

Lid closed.

You can do it under Power Options.

You can try the steps provided on this article regarding How to change settings and wake the system for laptop lid being closed:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103117.

Method 2.

You can change this behavior in any version of Windows. 

Open the Start menu and search for Control Panel. Navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does.

The "When I close the lid" section presents a drop-down menu with four options—Sleep, Hibernate, Shut down, and Do Nothing—based on the laptop's power state: on battery or plugged in.

For example, you could set it to "Do Nothing" when the laptop is plugged in, but select the Sleep option when the computer is on battery power. This allows the closed laptop to continue functioning while it is hooked up to a external device.

If the steps won;t work, try to reset the BIOS to default. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/troubleshoot/lpt000353.

After reboot, try the same steps above again and see iif it works.

For the  the Keyboards issue.

Uninstall Keyboards in device manager restart  device, this will install drivers windows is fully loaded.

Let us know if problem still persists.

Regards.
Dondon_Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms