Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-22-2021

Croatia

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 7

Problem with external USB HID (mouse, keyboard) devices

2021-04-22, 20:24 PM

Hello.

I have Ideapad 520, Win 10 64 bit (OS build 19041.867)

Today I noticed very strange problem with external USB HID devices, not sure when it started.

Usually my external keyboard and mouse is connected via USB HUB which have it's own power supply, today

I had to use laptop in field and I noticed that mouse was not recognized when it was connected directly to laptop USB port.

I tried with several mouses, and also keyboard, same thing, not working in direct connection, only via USB hub is working.

Other devices like USB stick, USB serial adapter, they are working without a problem, on both ports.

Last time when I used mouse directly on USB port was maybe half year ago, and it was working, so I don't know when problem exactly started.

I was thinking that there is problem with 5V supply, that for some reason mouse draw too much current or something, so I connect

mobile phone to USB for charging and measure current, it draw 0,5A without a problem, and file transfer is working while charging.

I try to remove all USB controllers in device manager, restart PC, it didn't help.

I try to return recovery to earlier date, oldest which I found was 1 month old, didn't help.

I update all drivers plus Bios from Lenovo automatic update, didn't help.

I try to run Live Linux from USB stick, and same behavior like on windows, HID devices works only via USB HUB.

I'm now suspecting that this is some Hardware issue?

Any suggestions?

Options

4247 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23658 Page Views

• Views: 23658
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Problem with external USB HID (mouse, keyboard) devices

2021-04-22, 22:03 PM

Hello Zokonja,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thank you for initiating a post here in community. I might advise trying to perform the following troubleshooting steps.

Perform a static discharge/power cycle
- Make sure there is still remaining battery power, able to power up the machine.
- Disconnect all cables and/or peripheral devices connected to the machine (ex. power cable, hdmi cable, external mouse/keyboard, flashdrives, etc).
- Ensure that device is powered/switched off.
- Press and hold down the power button for as long as 60 seconds to drain flea power or excess voltage.
- The machine should remain in off state. Try after 60 seconds, turn the machine on again.

Try to run a diagnostics after this to see if there could be any hardware failure on the machine that could be triggering the issue. You are free to include the scan results here. 

Update us how it goes.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

04-22-2021

Croatia

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-25, 21:24 PM

Thanks for reply

Regarding this discharge procedure, not sure that I understood correctly, I made it in 2 ways, but neither help

- Make sure there is still remaining battery power, able to power up the machine.

This one I'm not sure, are you mean that battery level has to be low as possible or it can be let say 50%?

I done it on 50%

- Disconnect all cables and/or peripheral devices connected to the machine (ex. power cable, hdmi cable, external mouse/keyboard, flashdrives, etc).

Is this ex. in bracket means excluded or example?

I made in both ways, with some peripherals present and all removed

- Ensure that device is powered/switched off.

OK

- Press and hold down the power button for as long as 60 seconds to drain flea power or excess voltage.
- The machine should remain in off state. Try after 60 seconds, turn the machine on again.

When I press and hold PWR button, machine turn on, and after approx 5 sec turn OFF, I wait additional minute with pressed button,

than another minute with released button, than I turned it on with short press

Like I said, didn't help.

I made additional test, as I previously said, external keyboard is also not working when connected directly to USB, so I enter to Bios

and try to navigate there with external keyboard, it didn't work. So I guess it is not related to Windows drivers, but this

I also confirmed with live Linux

Here is result of long scanning, for some reason I can attach files like zip, so here is a link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4nnvy715mr0n3n/PF0UX8U1-2021-04-25-171508.zip?dl=0

Options

4247 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

261 Signins

23658 Page Views

• Views: 23658
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-04-27, 16:41 PM

Hi Zokonja,

Please try to update your chipset drivers through the drivers recommended in the support site. On the support site, enter your machine serial number to load up the correct drivers. Go to Drivers and Software then head to Manual Update, download and install the chipset drivers.

You may also try checking if the current BIOS version of your machine matches the BIOS version uploaded on the support page.

To check for your machine's driver version: launch the CMD / command prompt, on the command prompt windows, type wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion and then hit enter. The string of letters and numbers following SMBBIOSBIOSVersion is your BIOS version.

Let us know.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1207 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

505 Signins

6250 Page Views

• Views: 6250
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-04-27, 17:24 PM

Hello,

Sometimes the problem is with the USB device itself.  Here are Microsoft's recommendations:   https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=windows+10%2C+how+to+open+USB+not+recognized

Especially with suspend and hibernate and fast boot, sometimes full action is not restored during resume.  Using the mouse and selecting "RESTART" or "SHUTDOWN" form the Windows 10 "Power" menu often clears up the issue.  The icon for Power menu is likely similar to the symbol on your power button.    Sometimes 2 or 4 "RESTARTS" in a row are needed to clear all pending updates and so forth.

Usedtoberich

Options

4 Posts

04-22-2021

Croatia

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-27, 20:18 PM

Hi,

I already done that (in 1st post), all drivers updated and Bios also.

Here now result of service bridge scanning, now it only offers me graphic card driver update

Options

4 Posts

04-22-2021

Croatia

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-04-27, 20:34 PM

Hi,

as I see this is all related to situations when USB completely not working (not recognize plugged devices).

But I have only problem in specific situation, with Mouse and Keyboard (HID) and only when connected directly to PC USB port.

All other devices (USB sticks, USB HDD, USB Serial adapter) are working directly connected.

Mouse and Keyboard are working only when connected via USB (self powered) hub.

And same situation is happening when I'm in BIOS (keyboard) or Live Linux, so windows and it's driver should not be involved in this case.

It looks pretty weird situation that I have, seems to me that problem is somewhere in low level, I was hoping that new Bios will solve it 

but it didn't.

Here is my USB energy setup

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms