English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

11-13-2017

GB

5 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 16

Random beeps - 310-15ISK ideapad

2017-11-13, 13:00 PM

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I have an Ideapad 310 that is not particularly old (I bought it new from Amazon around 10 months ago) and it has been working well so far.

I just have one problem - a couple of months ago the laptop started emitting random system beeps, once in a while. It's only ever one beep at a time. It might beep just once or perhaps twice throughout a whole day of being switched on and in use. No error messages come up, and everything continues to work as normal before and after each beep. I think that it has started to become a bit more frequent, though, which is why I'm concerned there might be an issue.

I keep it plugged in to the mains at all times, as I use it in my home office all day. I wondered if it might be overheating, but it doesn't feel hot at all. I keep it raised up on a wooden box about 8cm high, placed on top of my desk (the box is slightly smaller widthwise and lengthwise than the laptop, so the laptop sits securely on top of it) as otherwise it would be too low compared to my second monitor which I have plugged in next to it.

A little extra info: my second monitor is old and I think it's on its last legs. It still works, and doesn't flicker or anything, but lately when starting up the laptop I've had to disconnect the monitor cable from the laptop before logging in, otherwise both screens are blank and I can't log in. If I then reconnect the cable once the laptop is logged in, it connects just fine and works normally. I am planning to replace the monitor soon, but I wondered if there might be a chance that could be causing the laptop to beep? (Does the laptop maybe think that the monitor cable isn't connected properly?)

If there's any other information I need to provide to help identify the cause of the beeps, please let me know. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, but Technical Support refused to help me unless I gave them my address and phone number, which I didn't want to do as I felt they did not need these personal details.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Steph

Options

Re: Random beeps - 310-15ISK ideapad

2017-11-13, 13:13 PM

Do you have bios set to beep when you connect and disconnect power? This is just a guess but a bad power connection could randomly connect and disconnect causing the beep. Hardware failure beeps through bios happen only on boot up. 

Options

7 Posts

11-13-2017

GB

5 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2017-11-13, 13:18 PM

Hi Johnny, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I haven't added or changed any bios settings myself - how would I check whether this setting is enabled?

If it helps, the beeps I'm talking about have never happened during boot-up. They have only ever happened while the laptop is switched on and logged in and both screens are on.

Steph

Options

2017-11-13, 13:27 PM

Have to go into bios settings to check this. Normally this is set to off. Can't tell from your description if this is a software beep coming through speakers, or a system beep coming through motherboard speaker. 

Options

7 Posts

11-13-2017

GB

5 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2017-11-13, 14:28 PM
OK, I think in that case it's unlikely to be switched on because I haven't ever gone into the bios settings on this laptop - I must admit I'm not even sure how to do that!

I think it's a system beep as I'm fairly sure it's always at the same volume (regardless of whether I have the speakers turned up or down). I think I will double check, though, perhaps by turning up the speakers to the max so that I'll definitely know, when a beep next happens, if it's coming from them or the motherboard.

Do you know what it might indicate if it's indeed coming from the motherboard?
Options

2017-11-13, 16:44 PM

Anything coming from the motherboard means it detects a hardware issue. Generally they are predetermined beeps in terms of numbers corresponding to a fault code. Since yours is more random I doubt it is beeps corresponding to a fault code. Rather the OS detecting a intermittent problem that causes it to make a default error beep through speakers. Since you don't really have any problems showing up when you hear the beeps its very hard to draw any conclusion as what is causing them. Could be something as simple as you are trying to do something the OS cannot do in a certain sequence and beeps to inform you that cannot be done. 

Options

7 Posts

11-13-2017

GB

5 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2017-11-13, 17:28 PM
Hm, that is strange - sometimes it has beeped when I haven't even been touching it, but have been simply sitting by my desk with the computer running while I've been writing or reading notes on paper, or looking at my phone, for example.

I will try to note down exactly what processes I've got running the next few times it happens. That way perhaps I can see if there's a pattern to it.

Thanks for all your help - I'd be really grateful if you could let me know if any other possible causes happen to come to mind. I'll continue investigating!
Options

2 Posts

11-15-2017

US

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 8 of 16

Re: Random beeps - 310-15ISK ideapad - FIXED

2017-11-15, 4:57 AM

I had a Toshiba Laptop years ago and I had the same problem, My computer would "Chirp" every once in awhile. What the cause was is your computer is pre-loaded with software programs and the "chirping" sound was  a Weather Underground App that was pre-installed on the computer and would chirp whenever a bad storm was coming in my area (Weather Warning). You can fix that problem by going into your GOOGLE CHROME, Click those 3 Little Dots located on the Upper Top-Right Corner of your screen, Scroll down to "MORE TOOLS" Click "EXTENSIONS" and you can disable or delete by pressing Garbage Can Icon. Any programs you don't want. Then Re-Boot your computer (Turn On & Off your computer) and the beeping will go away.

Options

7 Posts

11-13-2017

GB

5 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2017-11-15, 11:59 AM

Thanks MusicLoverMI for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think my issue is the same as the one you had, because the noise I'm getting seems to be a system sound coming from the laptop itself rather than through the speakers. It's also a single BEEEEEEP, not a chirp.

(Just for argument's sake, though, I've double-checked all my Chrome extensions and there's nothing unexpected in the list - I only have a few enabled and I know what they all are, and I think it's unlikely any of them could be emitting a beep.)

I'm now thinking it's quite likely to be a fault with my external monitor - after I said it was still working the other day, it has since been playing up more and now today it won't switch on at all. Yesterday I managed to get it to work after unplugging and reconnecting it a few times, but today no such luck. So perhaps the laptop was detecting a problem with the monitor's power supply or something. I have now disconnected the monitor and haven't had any beeps so far, although they were never very frequent anyway, only once or twice every couple of days. I'll have to see how it goes... Now need to try and borrow another monitor from someone as it's pretty hard to work with all my windows crammed onto the laptop screen! I was really hoping it would last until I get my dad's spare one at Christmas, but it seems I'm out of luck......

Options

3 Posts

01-23-2018

GB

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 10 of 16

2018-01-23, 10:29 AM
Hi. I have the same on my IdeaPad. For the past few months I've been getting a random beep from my PC. and I've no clue as to why. It tends to happen when I'm not actually using it and happens any time of day.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete