English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

09-13-2020

IT

7 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 1 of 2

[Report] Windows 10 2004 conflicts with "Lenovo Fn and functions keys" driver

2020-09-22, 20:03 PM

This report is meant for Lenovo staff. It indicates a conflict with a Lenovo driver (publicly available) and Windows 10 2004 builds on IdeaPad 5 14ARE05.

The "Lenovo Fn and functions keys" driver came preinstalled on my IdeaPad 5-14ARE05 machine with Windows 10 1909. Driver version: 1.0.2.0 of 05/19/2020 (also available in Support page).

Upon upgrading to Windows 10 2004 build (using Upgrade Assistant as Windows Update refused to offer such upgrade) an essential Windows component was failing to load caused by the driver's service.
The component in question is "My Computer" under Component Services, that is Windows frontend for DCOM. 
While "Lenovo Fn and functions keys" service was allowed to run Automatically at start-up the local DCOM "My Computer" was failing to load resulting in offline (noticed by a red down-facing arrow icon next to it).
Another side effect noticed is by trying to access Computer Services - Computers - My Computer (offline) - COM+ Applications , this resulted in an error (0x8004E00F) saying that communication with Distributed Transaction Coordinator is not possible.

Upon setting such service as Disabled the local DCOM "My Computer" became online and accessible again to the Applications and to the OS.

In my particular case (it can vary) the app that required DCOM was Windows Game Bar, which failed while "Lenovo Fn and functions keys" service was up and DCOM was down.

Such driver shouldn't exist anymore in the Support Drivers download page. Also because the Fn functionality of the keyboard works as intended with the use of the LenovoUtility app making such driver useless in Windows 10. Furthermore, as already stated, it denies functionality of Windows core components on 2004 and successive builds. 

Further notes: upon inspecting the inf file of the driver it can be noted that the driver installer targets ACPILHK2019 device , which is not present in my device. 
Such driver if removed then attempted to reinstall would not install and it would only be passively added it to the DriverStore . 
For the Lenovo technicians to have functionally installed this driver and its service it means that they have made use of "Add legacy driver" in Device Manage (such action is not even done by the driver's Lenovo Setup Package Manager). Using "Add Legacy driver" would install the driver even though the Location is reported Unknown.
Essentially this made it to be a device-less driver laying around serving no functionality, as far as I'm concern.
My keyboard Hardware ID is ACPI\FUJ7401 , not targeted by the driver.

Thank you for taking this into notice.

Regards,
Cody

Options

14 Posts

09-13-2020

IT

7 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:[Report] Windows 10 2004 conflicts with "Lenovo Fn and functions keys" driver

2020-09-22, 20:30 PM

@Serene_Lenovo 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete