Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 11

Shift keys and sound function keys not working on Ideapad 320

2019-11-05, 3:13 AM

So just as the title says. My shift keys don't work, or rather, they work sporadically. Sometimes, after I spam them for a while they work fine for as long as I'm using them. Somtimes they work but the next character I type isn't capitalized or changed, & sometimes they work on literally every other character I type (So if I typed CSIit would sometimes come out as "CsI", or "cSi"). And sometimes one shift key works while the other doesn't, sometimes neither work at all, & somehow, somehow, shift only works when I hold down both shift keys at the same time. I tried to remedy this situation by updating my drivers (I don't know why I would need drivers for a keyboard, but sure Lenovo), but that just broke my sound function keys. Now not one of the three sound function keys works independantly. They only work when I have the task bar opened.

What makes this situation worse is that this is not the first time that my shift keys have crapped themselves so much. It first happened almost three years ago when I first got it & I would spend excessive amounts of time on assignments trying to get my shift keys to work so I could type faster, usually to no avail. After some Windows update not too long ago my keyboard was fine & everything worked, but after this most recent Windows update my shift keys have fallen back into that sporadic behavior. The sound function keys were working fine the whole time, until today when I tried to update my keyboard drivers to fix the problem with my shift keys.

So, as is obvious, I'm looking for a solution. And please don't tell me that crap that I've seen on every other post that has this problem. "Replace your keyboard" is not the solution. The keyboard works fine, I have checked it, as does the on screen keyboard. These problems have only ever come up after a software update of some kind. So please, tell me the actual solution instead of giving me that crap answer. I've been dealing with this problem again for a couple months now & it's infuriating when I'm trying to get assignments out of the way. I don't need to keep turning the caps lock on everytime I try to capitalize a letter, nor do I need to keep trying to get shift to work when I type ampersand or the parentheses or anything else.

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Shift keys and sound function keys not working on Ideapad 320

2019-11-05, 10:02 AM

Hi there, Willowbrend! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

You can check out this article https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103985?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 and try following the steps provided about the keyboard issue on the laptop.

In addition, try loading the default settings in the BIOS page on the laptop (follow the steps below). 

1. Access the BIOS page, here's https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500216?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 how to access it.

2. Once the BIOS page is up, press the Fn+F9 keys or the F9 key to load default settings. Then, press the Fn+10 keys or the F10 key to exit saving changes and choose yes. The laptop will restart automatically and test the keyboard again. Let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

10-28-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 11

Re:Shift keys and sound function keys not working on Ideapad 320

2020-10-28, 19:08 PM

This exact same thing is happening to me now and it is incredibly frustrating. There is so much that you cannot do when shift keys do not work, specifically writing calculations in excel with the the symbols above the number keys. I have tried everything you suggest here and it does not work still. My shift keys just started doing the exact same thing described on Sunday October 11th. I had a Mac for 10 years and nothing this ridiculous had happened. I had been a big fan of this laptop but this needs to be fixed. it is clearly a software issue and i have performed all updates and BIOS and all of that. Please fix the software immediately. What do you suggest to fix this immediately. 

Options

1 Posts

12-10-2020

Canada

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 11

2020-12-10, 3:04 AM

I am also facing the exact same problem. This is a new laptop T590, no complaints for till return 30 day period, and after 1 month, the shift key suddenly stops only. ITS ONLY THE SHIFT KEY. And as you pointed it is sporadic. Sometimes it works and suddenly no reason stops working. First time seeing such problem as I never faced this in my previous, HP, Dell, or Mac machines. The online keyboard works, external USB keyboard works, just the laptop keyboard shift key alone. Without doing anything, it ll start working again. This is really annoying. 

Options

1 Posts

02-07-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-02-07, 14:09 PM

I have been having the same problem for 2 years on the IDEAPAD computer I bought in 2018.

Because of the problem with this "shift" key, I don't think I will ever buy a Lenovo brand computer.

It is an incredibly disturbing situation. I think I have tried every solution offered on the internet.

The "shift" key still not working while everything worked perfectly!!

Options

2 Posts

08-25-2015

United States of America

3 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 6 of 11

2021-02-11, 18:49 PM

I have suffered with this issue for some time now (Shift Key). Googled it today. Applied this and it is much better.

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I (at the same time) to invoke the Settings window.

2) Click Ease of Access.

3) Select Keyboard on the left pane. Then make sure the status of Sticky Keys, Toggle Keys and Filter Keys are all set to Off.

I'm on a ThinkPad T470. YMMV.

Options

3 Posts

02-17-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 7 of 11

2021-02-17, 8:31 AM

These suggestions haven't helped. Is there a solution to this problem? I have IdeaPad Flex Pro 13IKB. With the shift key pressed, when I press 'L' repeatedly in notepad, this is what I get: "lLLLLLLLLlLlLLLLlLLLLLLLLlL". Note that I am not lifting my finger off the shift key. This doesn't seem like a hardware issue but rather a problem with the software.

Options

2 Posts

03-02-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 11

2021-03-02, 2:37 AM

I am having a similar issue and tried all of the recommended solutions to no avail.  My issue is a little different.  The left shift key doesn't seem to produce the secondary character with the t and y and the 5 and 6 nor the [ and ] and ; and ' keys.  Oddly they are near each other in both cases.  I did buy this laptop used, but it seems odd that the keys work fine, but their secondary character won't work.  

I should also note that the t, y and [ and ] keys do work with the right shift key, but the 5 and 6 and the ; and ' do not.  I'm not really sure what this could be, but I would like it fixed.

Update:  While smashing the keys in frustration, i managed to get them to work, but the key would have to be pressed as I was releasing the shift key.  And it wasn't consistant nor a good solution.  I just thought I would share my findings in case it would help diagnose the problem.

Options

2 Posts

03-02-2021

Canada

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 11

2021-03-04, 14:42 PM

***UPdate

So I noticed that the keys sometimes worked.  After several combinations of pressing and releasing buttons, here's what I discovered.

If I press the shift key and the key I want to use and then release the shift key before relasing the intended key it gives the secondary character.

So for example, if I want t to be uppercase, then I would hold shift, then press t and release the shift key before the t to get T.  This works for every key, but I still don't know if that would be a mechanical malfunction, like a circuit or something is not sending the signal properly or a software issue where the command isn't properly functioning.  Is anyone else with this issue able to replicate this and or diagnose the issue?

Options

1 Posts

05-07-2021

Singapore

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-05-07, 2:42 AM

I am using IdeaPad Y450 for many years and now its suffered with this Shift Key issue which affect certain alphabetical keys and symbols. The symptoms and behavior are exactly similar with other users' descriptions here.

I have also done a fair bit of troubleshooting and briefly,

1. To get the symbols above the number keys, press Shift+Number but released the Shift key first will bring out the correct symbol. Otherwise nothing happen.

2. Using external keyboard such as bluetooth or on-screen keyboard will work perfectly.

3. Booting to Safe-Mode will not help, problem remained.

4. My current solution is remap the right-CTRL key to be Shift Key and it works for all Symbols and those Alphabet keys having issue.

I supposed this is the software issue of Lenovo but seems like there is no solution from them yet. Hopefully they can provide a fix soon.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms