English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-25-2020

IN

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

Spilt Liquid

2020-09-25, 5:15 AM

I was drinking tea in the morning and I accidentally spilled it. It did not fall over my keyboard but fell in front of the laptop and the liquid seeped in through the speakers at the bottom. My laptop was powered on when this happened. I tried to open an app and that's when I heard cracking sounds from inside my laptop. I tried to shut down my laptop but it refused to shut down and rebooted. This happened twice and it shut down only on the third attempt. I left it like that for 15 mins and then tried to turn it on again. But it not turning on. What am I supposed to do? I have a 10-month warranty left. Will that help if I got something short-circuited? Mine is a Lenovo Ideapad 3 and I bought it just 2 months back. If anybody is here please tell me what to do ASAP.

Options

163 Posts

11-27-2007

US

249 Signins

5053 Page Views

• Views: 5053
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Spilt Liquid

2020-09-25, 5:56 AM

Unfortunately standard warranty WILL NOT cover ACCIDENTAL damage. You do have 90 days to purchase it from the sales date (there might be some stipulation on how long you have to wait before you can submit a claim - once purchased you have to wait xx days- or the device must NOT be damaged for you to be able to purchase it. Also, if you paid via CC (MOST, like AMEX) have an "accidental damage" policy that applies for the first 90 DAYS (usually with no deductible).

ETA: Also, YES they CAN tell if your laptop has liquid damage and then it will be flagged (if you don't have accidental damage coverage). I would attempt to get the accidental if possible (haven't read their current policies but I usually buy it with the machine) and at the same time work with your CC company (if you used one)

ETA2: Also, even if you had been successful in shutting the computer down the first time; the odds of it helping are almost 0. Unless it is distilled water, mineral deposits will accumulate (as the water evaporates) and cause a short. On the same note, the odds of the water evaporating, while the machine is on and NOT causing a short are almost 0. Once you add acids like tea and sugar the problem becomes amplified as the tea and the sugar are extremely damaging to electronic components.

Currently own: X220T, X220, X230, X250, T430, T450, W550s 3K,
P50 4K Xeon 64GB, 4TB SSD, 1TB SSD, 1TB SSD
P50 FHD (Upgraded), 48GB, 1TB SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB Spinner,
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete