English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

01-15-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 1 of 2

Stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair" for unknown reason

2017-09-26, 23:31 PM

I know this has been a topic, but the setup here warrants a new thread.

Be warned. This is a long explanation. I have a known problem with making walls of text.

So, I have a Flex 3, and I've had some of the most outlandish problems with this thing. I've fixed one (all keys type 6), and the rest have bizarrely fixed themselves after plaguing me for months on end, but that's aside the point.

After going through a ton of crap to allocate more storage to Ubuntu (I only edited the C: partition through Windows, so that wasn't an issue), Ubuntu was asking for a swap drive password on boot (hitting enter bypassed it, I don't know why). I was following instructions to fix that, and on the last step, I accidentally edited the partition /dev/sda6 instead of /sda9 (my Linux swap partition). In a cruel twist of irony, data recovery software fished out OneKey Recovery for me. I put it in my (Windows) documents folder and removed it from the Ubuntu storage space. OKR is 19GB, and I had just added 20GB to the Linux partition, so I wasn't about to leave it on Linux's file system.

I have OneKey's files and even the old UUID of the partition, and Windows booted after all was said and done. So why would I put this on help forums?

Well, the next day (or two days later, I forget), I went to start Windows 10, fully expecting it to work. I hadn't messed with anything since I last booted it. I'd mostly just messed with Remix OS, which is Android. Not much I can screw up there.

...and it got stuck. First, it said "press any key to skip disk checking" or something to that effect, under the usual Lenovo boot logo. I pressed the key, and the screen went blank and stayed that way. It had said something about checking a disk briefly when it started up before, but it started nonetheless. So, I held the power button and tried booting again. This time, it said "Preparing Automatic Repair" under the Lenovo logo. It stayed that way. I tried one more time and got the same result, and finally I booted into Ubuntu to see if I could fix it.

I'm not sure what's causing it. My theories are: 1. It's upset that the recovery partition is no longer labelled as NFTS (the data is still there and everything, it never got formatted), or 2. It's seeing OneKey in the active boot partition (in the Documents folder) and it thinks it needs to be in recovery mode or something odd like that.

I think the first is more likely, but either way, I can't boot into Windows.

So... does anyone know what I should do now? I do have a USB with windows recovery/upgrade media (and I did use it to fix the bootloader when I screwed it up after installing Linux).

P.S. I'm not going to customer service. My warranty is expired, and I had to open the laptop up to fix a hardware issue (search "all keys type 6"). And I installed another OS. And (as a result of that) I had to mess with the bootloader. So goodbye, warranty.

Device: Flex 3-1580

Installed OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Remix OS

Issues: OneKey Recovery partition removed, Windows 10 gets stuck in boot loop

Windows 10 update: Probably the latest; I'm pretty sure I set it to update at some dead hour of the night. I've heard it start up at night after leaving it in sleep mode.

Options

18 Posts

01-15-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair" for unknown reason

2017-12-03, 22:21 PM

The boot loop was resolved a while ago, but my OneKey recovery partition is still missing, and it says "scanning disk [some UUID]: 100% complete" on every boot, and often tells me to press a key to skip disk checking. If I remember correctly, not skipping ends in having to force shutdown the device and reboot. This isn't too much of an issue, but if there's a fix, I'd like to know.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms