English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

05-04-2020

PL

15 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 1 of 4

USB 3.0 port stopped working on all OSs (Ideapad 310-15IKB)

2020-09-25, 12:21 PM

Hello everyone!

Today my USB 3.0 port stopped working. It works with USB 2.0 devices and my USB 3.0 HDD works with my USB 2.0 ports. Plugged into 3.0 port the drive spins and the indicator light is on, but it can't be seen by either the Windows Device Manager or any partitioning tool, not to mention a file manager. This behaviour is the same across platforms: Windows 10, Lubuntu 20.04 live USB (2.0), Clonezilla live DVD. The USB 3.0 drive doesn't show up in UEFI when connected to the 3.0 port. The drivers for the USB 3.0 port under Windows 10 1909 show no errors and are working and up-to-date, at least as far as Windows OS is concerned.

I was setting up a partition cloning operation with Clonezilla live DVD when something happened. Clonezilla was seeing the USB 3.0 HDD plugged into USB 3.0 port just fine and I intended to clone from that drive to partitions on an SSD drive that went into the SATA slot of my Ideapad 310-15IKB laptop. Admittedly I forgot to plug the laptop in and it was running low on its battery. Before I could begin confirming any actions the laptop turned off without a warning. Once I got it back on, the USB 3.0 HDD stopped being recognized by the 3.0 port as described above. I went on to clone the drive with Clonezilla by plugging that drive into a 2.0 USB port and it went alright. The drive seems fine. The USB 3.0 cable is short and brand new - I have no replacement or other USB 3.0 device to test the laptop port.

What I have tried so far:

• resetting UEFI files
  • turning off Secure Boot
  • turning the laptop off and putting it into transportation mode and then holding power button for 30 seconds to discharge any electricity from the circuits
  • uninstalling all USB drivers under Windows and restarting the laptop - the USB 3.0 drivers reinstalled automatically without any issues
  • disabling the Windows USB 3.0 drivers' feature that allows the PC to turn off the USB 3.0 hubs when low on energy
  • google'ing it.

From what I gather the problem with USB 3.0 ports that I have is fairly typical. It's been described here for example: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-30-not-working-in-windows-10/eec0b20e-3ee1-4699-ac97-22e6f4c60a5a

This one is similar, except that the person with that problem had problems with USB 3.0 drivers, which isn't the case for me:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/USB-3-port-won-t-recognize-USB-3-devices/m-p/507847?page=1#507847

Again a similar problem, with no solutions:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-USB-3-Port-Not-Recognizing-USB-3-External-Drive/m-p/1583814?page=1#1583814

There are loads of similar examples, but unfortunately I have yet to stumble across an effective solution. From what I gather, the problem in my case is with UEFI. I don't think anything got physically damaged (the Windows Device Manager doesn't report anything wrong with the hardware). The port worked fine so it SHOULD be possible to get it working again. Since the problem is cross-platform, some tinkering with UEFI is likely to do the trick, but I'm not that computer literate to actually do it unassisted.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Options

14 Posts

05-04-2020

PL

15 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re:USB 3.0 port stopped working on all OSs (Ideapad 310-15IKB)

2020-09-29, 10:05 AM

update: recently the said USB 3.0 port has stopped seeing my USB 2.0 pendrive. It still works with a wireless mouse USB 2.0 receiver. It starts to look like a malfunctioning hardware, but hopefully I'm wrong.

edit: I updated some CPU drivers and restarted Windows. For whatever reason, the USB 3.0 port now reads the USB 2.0 pendrive again. It's behaviour regarding USB 3.0 external HDD didn't change.

Options

14 Posts

05-04-2020

PL

15 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-10-03, 11:29 AM

So I guess I should accept the fact that the port is and will always remain broken? The annoying thing is that it broke only two days after I got my first USB 3.0 device and before that it only had worked with USB 2.0 devices. So this effectively points to a hardware malfunction, a kind of a hidden fault that has been there since I got the laptop. I will take the opportunity to list other hardware issues I had with the laptop:

• The casing is made of extremely poor quality plastic. The cover with the LCD display is actually wobbly, the part with the touchpad and keyboard got shiny after two weeks' worth of daily use, and even the bottom got scratches despite careful handling.
  • The touchpad has never worked well. It's hypersensitive, so I had to disable tapping permanently. Nothing can be done about it: with original drivers on various settings, with Windows stock drivers, with Linux drivers, with different versions of Windows - it's always hypersensitive. Having had worked on a Toshiba laptop for many years before I bought this laptop, I know it doesn't have to be like this. Also the touchpad can freeze and get stuck on one side of the screen and refuse to go sideways. Disabling and re-enabling the touchpad via keyboard shortcut usually solves this.
  • The fan is extremely noisy. The one that came with the laptop in addition to natural noisyness was somewhat damaged and produced some fluttering noises, likely the fan was hitting against its case. I finally replaced it myself (Lenovo was unwilling to do it under warranty), but it's still much noisier than on other laptops.
  • The laptop has a tendency to overheat. It helps that I'm keeping it on an aluminium stand with holes though.
  • The display's maximum brightness has always been way too low. On a sunny day I need to put it on maximum despite keeping the laptop in a relatively dark room.
  • Lenovo releases poor quality software that is too big and resource-intensive for the purposes it's been made.
  • and to top it off, it seems that my laptop was shipped with a USB 3.0 port that was faulty from the beginning. Too bad it has only one USB 3.0 port.

To sum up, the laptop is fragile, dim, hot, noisy and with a crappy touchpad. As it is, it can't be used for what it was designed for - taking it with you to various places. It's best left in a role of a desktop computer. I'm thoroughly disappointed. I will never buy a Lenovo again.

Options

14 Posts

05-04-2020

PL

15 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-10-04, 11:16 AM
So apparently a malfunctioning USB 3.0 port explains the issues I reported here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebooks/310-15IKB-laptop-boots-from-external-USB-flash-drive-but-not-external-USB-HDD/m-p/5013372?page=1#5044607 It dawned upon me that it may be precisely the reason why my external USB 2.0 HDD sometimes was and sometimes wasn't seen by UEFI. I tested it by booting to boot menu while I connected the HDD in question to different USB ports. Under USB 2.0 ports it was seen the first time I connected it - no issues with UEFI erasing it and not remembering to check if it was there again. The pendrive still is seen by UEFI even when connected to the faulty USB 3.0 port. This is an issue I had ever since I bought this laptop brand new. I used to have an old Fedora on that HDD and have tried connecting it with the same cable I use now and to the same effect: it wasn't detected and I couldn't boot from it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete