Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-14-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 13

USB-C not charging

2021-10-14, 1:35 AM

I have a 6 month old IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05.  The computer came with a USB-C charger and has worked until now.  I plugged it in at night and it did not charge by morning.  I have checked everything with the charger.  The USB-C port does work with data devices but does not work with 3 different chargers. The computer is under warranty and I have contacted Lenovo support.  They want me to send the computer in to them and will keep it for 3 - 4 weeks.  I do not think that it is a hardware problem and that there should be some way to fix the problem without sending it to Lenovo.  Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestion.

Options

5384 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

343 Signins

30712 Page Views

• Views: 30712
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:USB-C not charging

2021-10-14, 13:55 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @Bookie  

I might suggest that you share the complete machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK or 20UD000BUS) from the sticker usually located under the case. This would help find more details about your machine variant, while keeping the confidentiality of your serial number.

If you can't find any sticker under the device showing the machine type model / MTM, check this link as guide how to find it within Windows. Please do not include the machine serial number (S/N): https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/videos/vid100751-how-to-locate-serial-number-and-machine-type-model-number-may-2020-update

Checking the product specification sheet of your machine shows that the power connector is a barrel one, with a note saying, "If a USB-C adapter is shipped with your computer, connect the adapter to USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 for charging."

Regards.

Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

10-14-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2021-10-14, 14:21 PM

The model number is 81X20001US.

Options

5384 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

343 Signins

30712 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-10-14, 14:34 PM

Hi @Bookie  

Thanks for getting back in the thread. 

Checking on the PSREF site for your machine type model shows that your machine has 1 Power Connector port. It indicates that the machine is not meant to be charged with a USB Type C ac adapter rather with a barrel type ac adapter. The USB C port functions for peripheral devices and storage devices.

Checking on the parts look up site for barrel ac adapters, part numbers (P/N) FRU 01FR051 and FRU 01FR040 is listed as compatible barrel ac adapters for your machine. I might recommend trying to reach out to the technical support one more time and present them this information to clarify the right part that should be charging your machine. Other than this, I think there really is no need to have the machine sent to the facility if the issue is not properly identified.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

12-21-2020

Canada

41 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 13

2021-10-15, 3:26 AM

My Lenovo Flex 5 Ryzen 7 Type C Charging port has stopped working since today morning. I have gone through previous charts on this issue and found few part number of round pin chargers, but I didn't found any part on lenovo site. I found below part, Please suggest is it compatible or not ? GX20L29355

Options

4 Posts

10-14-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2021-10-15, 12:12 PM

My Flex 5 14" stopped charging yesterday too.

Options

5384 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

343 Signins

30712 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-10-15, 15:42 PM

Greetings @aanilbhoi  

Try to check first if your machine has a barrel port connector for a barrel ac adapter.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the reply, "If a USB-C adapter is shipped with your computer, connect the adapter to USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 for charging."

Here's how you can find the right part number of the ac adapter for your machine.

Go to support site, use your machine serial number (S/N) on the search bar, hit enter twice to load up your machine model details.

Go to Parts tab, click on the Compatible tab. Filter the Commodity Type into ac adapters and the results will show you a list of part number (PN) and a photo showing the item. From there you can look for the barrel ac adapter.

Reach out to the technical support team for assistance if needed and also try to inform them how this forum helped you find the right part. You may check the Lenovo Encompass for pricing and parts availability in your region.

Regards.
Dex

Options

4 Posts

10-14-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-10-17, 0:09 AM

Does your USB-C port work for data?  My USB-C does work for data.

I have been in contact with the Lenovo.  They were suppose to call me this morning at 10:00.  They did not call.  The call was setup to do a factory reset.  They are also sending me a box to send it back to them if the reset does not work.

Options

2 Posts

12-21-2020

Canada

41 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 9 of 13

2021-10-17, 1:15 AM

My Type C port has stopped working, It was not working for Data transfer ever. I will check with the Lenovo for the same.

Options

5384 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

343 Signins

30712 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-10-18, 0:27 AM

Hi,

Having this reported to the technical support team might give you a step further for checking the issue since they can provide over-the-phone troubleshooting as well. With an active warranty I believe they can also recommend a resolution that both parties can agree on.

Goodluck.
Dex

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms