English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-22-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

What GHz is my Ideapad, Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 logical processors

2020-09-22, 18:08 PM

A job I applied for says I need a 2 GHz processor. My IdeaPad 340, purchased new in January 2020 and built in November 2019, has this information about the processor in the systems configuration description:  

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

So it looks as if the processor is 1.60 GHz, but does this mean each of the 4 cores or 8 processors is 1.60 so that the total is more than 2 GHz?

I see in the Task Manager Performance tab the 8 processors at work. The total GHz given has varied, with more than 3 GHz using only 25% of capacity and 1.9 GHz using only 2 % of capacity. If 8 processors are running on 1.60 GHz each, then is my total GHz 12.8 ??

I am not very computer literate. Thank you for your advice.

properwagner

Options

11812 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7069 Signins

741434 Page Views

• Views: 741434
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:What GHz is my Ideapad, Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 logical processors

2020-09-22, 18:49 PM

Hi properwagner,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

They must be asking for a faster performing CPU or higher Processor Base Frequency.

The cores of i5-8265U works more on parallelization.

This splits the workload into the cores so that the same load are processed at the same time thus same Processor Base Frequency of 1.60 GHz.

These core operations do not add, they just divide the task.

The CPU can go up to 3.90 GHz but only via 

Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

I think the job is asking for the right amount of Processor Base Frequency and not its Max turbo.

You can try to check the benchmark of Intel Core i5-8265U to compare to other CPU that can give you 2GHz base frequency instead that you can invest on.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

174 Posts

11-27-2007

US

256 Signins

5188 Page Views

• Views: 5188
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:What GHz is my Ideapad, Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 logical processors

2020-09-23, 2:58 AM

It depends on what you are doing. Tasks can't be measured on processor speed alone. The BIG thing when multitasking is processor cores. The more cores/threads, the better your (theoretical) performance will be. Think of it this way....the processor can ONLY handle ONE TASK at a time (we work the same way). To simplify an at extreme level - and we are not counting the OS -and not making it more complex....

2 Core / 4 Thread CPU =  Watching a movie, playing a game and surfing fleaBay

The 2 cores can only handle two tasks NOT at the same time. So one core plays your movie and the other core plays the game. In both of these instances, each frame refresh, each input from your keyboard and output to your screen is tasked to one core. Each core will stop, perform ONE action and ask the other core to perform its action, then it goes back to the other core. The process is repeated MULTIPLE times per second (your MHz in the processor OR "cycles per second). Each action performed has a start/stop per action. So the cores NEVER work at the same time (a lot of people have a hard-time understanding this process). So what about the threads, well the threads are like traffic controllers. They fool the OS into believing there are more CPUs than listed (hyper-threading in Intel lingo - this is a VIRTUAL CPU and not a HARDWARE one). These threads handle some of the LOGIC/sub-routine for the different cores. So your using one CORE for the movie and the other CORE for the game. The cores are busy and you introduces the fleBay surfing. So now, the processors have to agree on who will take the task. This will DROP cycles in the communication between the processors, remember, they can only perform ONE step at a time (regardless of how many CORES/THREADS you have) and there is a STOP/START for EVERY action. How can you improve efficiency? Add a "gate keeper". This gate keeper (threads) becomes the intermediary and allows the other CORES to focus on their particular task. So now you called fleaBay, the thread will assign the function to ONE core and manage the traffic to the other core. In this instance your processor might behave like this (set per row):

CORE1 : REFRESH SCREEN for MOVIE -           STOP                       -                            STOP                                                            STOP                                                                                 STOP

THREAD: NO ACTION -                         RECEIVES STOP FROM CORE 1                    STOP                                                             STOP                                                                             RECEIVES STOP FROM CORE2

STOP

INFORM CORE2 to PROCEED

CORE2: NO ACTION/STOPPED           RECEIVES REQUEST to PROCEED             REFRESHES SCREEN for GAME                INFORM THREAD STOP (process complete)                 STOP

So, each stop \star is ONE cycle. Your processor can perform 1.6 MILLION of these stop/star cycles per second. The TURBO is a "burst" of start/stop cycles which allow the processors to reach 3.9 million stop/start cycles per second. What is the advantage of more cores/threads?

Well, lets simplify. Would you rather pack 100 boxes yourself? What happens when you add two people, three, four? These are your CORES

Now, if an action is required you have to inform each CORE/Individual on what you are doing, This will also decrease performance. Because now you have to talk to two or more people on what you are doing. What do you need to improve efficiency? A gatekeeper/supervisor/thread. This supervisor is now tasked with informing your actions to the person that needs to know, without you having to inform everyone.

So what is the point of all this! Simple. PROCESSOR SPEED means NOTHING as a single variable. TASKS and the required resources determine WHAT you will need. A 4GHZ processor with 4GB of RAM and a spinning SATA HDD is going to be worthless (or seem like it), when compared to a 1.6GHZ processor, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB NVMe SSD. If you are surfing the net, you are probably NOT going to notice the difference. If you are answering emails, surfing the corporate intranet and skype with your boss, the 1.6 will kick *ss. The 4GHZ can accomplish more start/stop cycles but the bottle neck is the ram, followed by the HDD. 

Think of it this way - 

BOX PACKER   (4GHZ CPU)                            BOX TAPER   (4GB RAM)                                     BOX SORTER BY DESTINATION (SATA HDD)   

400 Boxes per Minute                   15 Boxes  per Minute                                              7 Boxes per Minute                                                                             TOTAL COMPLETED BOXES PER MINUTE = 7

BOX PACKER 2 (1.6GHZ CPU)                        BOX TAPER 2 (8GB RAM)                                  BOX SORTER 2 (NVMe SSD)

160 boxes per minute                                             30 boxes per minute                                              21 Boxes per minute                                                TOTAL COMPLETED BOXES PER MINUTE=21

OR, think of it this way. For most OFFICE tasks, the processor is NEVER the problem. Again, the bottle neck has always been the RAM, followed by the HDD/SSD.

In conclusion, the company that is looking to hire you pulled a number out of thin air.

Currently own: X220T, X220, X230, X250, T430, T450, W550s 3K,
P50 4K Xeon 64GB, 4TB SSD, 1TB SSD, 1TB SSD
P50 FHD (Upgraded), 48GB, 1TB SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB Spinner,
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete