English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-12-2020

DE

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 4

Win10 won't boot after SSD upgrade

2020-09-12, 22:25 PM

Hi Fellas,

honestly this is the first time in years asking for advice on a forum, so I hope you guys can help me :).

I upgraded the laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 110) of my father in Law with a SSD. So I removed the HDD (WD 1TB factory built int), put in the SSD (SanDisk 480GB)  and installed Windows10 via USB Stick.
I did this a lot of times before and was usually done within an hour max - not this time.

The installation was done and I had to restard the laptop: "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot failed" - my misery began and I searched the web, unfortunately without any success.

I tried everything : Repair function via USB stick; Startup help via USB stick; switchting between UEFI/Legacy Mode and other BIOS tweaks (turned fast + secure boot); Re-installed (~5 times) and tried several (ALL) CMD things with diskpart.

My last hope -> the USB Recovery Creator by Lenovo. I was asked to remove the Device for a restart so the recovery could finish - guess what? Yes, same ole blue message.

The SSD works fine, tested on other machines and is detected by the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Greetings

Nelson

Options

3763 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4343 Signins

48842 Page Views

• Views: 48842
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Win10 won't boot after SSD upgrade

2020-09-13, 4:55 AM

Normally you would just install the SSD, and then install the OS.    

Once completed you should see in the BIOS under the Boot tab, a entry under EFI that says Windows Boot Manager (<your SSD model>) similar to the entry shown below

If you are not using Installation media created by Windows Media Creation Tool, I would highly recommend you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and create your installation media (it is free) using the Microsoft too.

Also, when attempting to reinstall again, reset the BIOS to Setup Defaults (Fn + F9 and then Fn + F10 to save), and during the install of Windows 10, When asked where you want to install Windows, make sure to delete all existing partitions until the entire SSD is shown as "Unallocated space" similar to the image below.  

This document may help as well.

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Regards, 

Options

3 Posts

09-12-2020

DE

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-09-16, 18:12 PM
Hey! Thank you for the reply. I tried that many times, I still get the blue message that the boot devicemissing or boot failed. I also tried to use the startup help from the windows usb stick (created with the media creation tool) - it failed after the diagnosis with the message reffering to some text located in Win\sys32\Logfiles I really dont know how this issue could be solved. SSD / Bootmanager is visible in the BIOS. After the installation it switched automatically to Legacy Support, while activated i end up in a reboot loop. When I switch back to UEFI -> Blue Message Regards
Options

3 Posts

09-12-2020

DE

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-09-18, 22:39 PM

Still on the hunt to solve this issue...Is there anyways I could have broke the port where the ssd/hdd is plugged in? I mean it is detected by the bios and I can run the windwos usb stick or install the lenovo recovery usb, this wouldnt be the case - So i would guess it is not broken.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete