English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-01-2020

US

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Wireless networking disappeared; Network Controller driver update fails

2020-03-01, 0:37 AM

I have a Intel Dual-band Wireless AC-3165 in my Lenovo Ideapad 320 15ikb laptop running Windows 10 Home 64bit.

This morning, my Wireless Network Adapter suddenly disappeared. I haven't installed any updates or new apps lately, and things were working fine when I put my computer to sleep last night. My Ethernet adapters are still working, so I can (thankfully) get online using a wired connection.

The wireless network adapter has vanished in the Device Manager. The Network controller has the yellow "!" symbol next to it. When I try to update drivers, I get a (not particularly-helpful) error: "Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device. Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while trying to install them. One of the installers for this device can't perform the installation at this time."

I have tried "uninstalling device" on the Network controller and restarting.

I have tried using the "Network reset" from the "Network & Internet" control panel setting.

I've tried updating drivers from Lenovo and gotten an unspecified error on the install.

I've tried updating drivers from the Intel WiFi_21.70.0_Driver64_Win10.exe and gotten the message "Please resolve these errors and retry installation: A fatal error occurred during installation."

How can I get the Network Controller/Wireless networking working again?

Options

331 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

135 Signins

2768 Page Views

• Views: 2768
  • Message 2 of 4

Wireless networking disappeared; Network Controller driver update fails

2020-03-02, 8:25 AM
Have you tried to uninstall the driver/device in device manager, then re-install the driver?
Options

2 Posts

03-01-2020

US

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re:Wireless networking disappeared; Network Controller driver update fails

2020-03-02, 18:54 PM

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling.  I get the same generic error on install.

Options

2 Posts

03-01-2020

US

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

Re:Wireless networking disappeared; Network Controller driver update fails

2020-03-04, 18:46 PM

To update anyone who has had a similar problem -- I've managed to get things working normally again.

I tried updating BIOS, and ran into errors with that.  I looked at Windows update and there was one update that was stuck in "Needs reboot to finish installing" (Despite many reboots) and several failed updates.

Given that many things seemed broken, I went to the Windows ISO download tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), got a Windows install download disk image, mounted the file (right-click/mount as virtual drive), and then ran the Windows installer.  I chose to keep personal data and apps.  The reinstall over my existing instance seems to have repaired/replaced/fixed all missing or corrupted files and restored both my wireless adapter and allowed installation of all the troubled Windows updated. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save