English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-22-2020

FR

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

change BIOS sequence to boot via external CD/DVD

2020-09-22, 15:04 PM

How to change BIOS sequence to boot primarily from external CD/DVD, before HD and others?
After Fn = F2, the setup utility does not show a possibility to change the boot sequence, just enable or disable
I need to periodically run backups and restores using LINUX on my WIN10 LENOVO Ideapad S145.
Can anybody help?

Options

470 Posts

05-14-2020

US

204 Signins

2410 Page Views

• Views: 2410
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:change BIOS sequence to boot via external CD/DVD

2020-09-22, 18:57 PM

As the years go by I have noticed Windows keeps making it harder and harder to boot up a different OS...  :(

Consider setting up a boot loader, GRUB2 is common for Linux, I think Windows has one too.  With the boot loader when you first power up you get a menu of which OS you want to boot into.

Under Windows, it is amazing how hard it is to actually turn it off.  The BIOS boot order screens are only reachable when starting from a cold shutdown system.  So don't suspend, don't hibernate, don't use Windows Fast Boot feature.  In suspend, hibernate, and so forth modes, the BIOS is skipped during power up, so you can't access boot order screens.

From inside Windows 10 I found the easiest way is to select the power menu with the mouse, then hold down the shift key while selecting SHUTDOWN command.

After it looks like it is shut down, brew a cup of tea and wait a few more moments enjoying it.  Often software updates are progressing silently, and interrupting those causes problems.

Then with the system still OFF, insert your bootable USB media.

After bootable media is inserted Power On the system.  It should open BIOS setup screens.

Move to boot order pages and select the USB for booting.

If boot order screens are not accessible, check the other pages of BIOS and unset "Secure Boot" and try again. 

If you are using a machine issued by your employer, your corporate IT department might have disabled alternate booting, or have it limited by password.  Consult your corporate IT department.

Good luck!

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete