Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-07-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 14

ideapad 330-15 fan not showing in lenovo diagnostics tool and overheating issues

2019-07-07, 9:01 AM

Hello,

I have a lenovo laptop that is roughly 4 months old. Recently it started heating up a lot really fast while doing load light work like compiling a realativley small solution or even running a small video game. I palyed Mass Effect Andromeda and the laptop did heat up a lot but it never started droping frames or have the audio stuttering. Now if I play something like Plage Inc. or compile a realtivley new web app and I have Spotify running at the same time, the audio would begin to stutter after 15 minutes of gaming or coding and recompiling. And the temperture will shoot up to 95 C really fast, now that wouldn't be a problem if I hear the fan spinning up really fast trying to cool the CPU but I don't hear anything. 

I suspect that the fan is dead. So I downloaded SpeedFan to see how the fan was doing. It didn't show at all. Then I downloaded the lenovo diagnostics tool and the fan was grayed out there as well. 

The CPU temperature is stable at 50 C while doing regular stuff but doing any work that loads the CPU a lot it would litteraly go up in flames. 

Can I control the fan of the laptop or is that locked by the manufacturer and thus I cant see it in the tools? Is this sort of temperature behaviour normal on higher load when the CPU is at max clock speed and being worked really hard? Should I hear the fan running hard or is it jus that silent? 

If the fan is working fine and that is normal I am thinking of getting a cooling pad. Specifically the Cooler Master Notepal i300, would that be sufficent enough cooling to solve my issues ?

Also Lenovo Vantage tests show that nothing is wrong with the CPU. And when I try to run a test script in the Lenovo diagnostics tool, I can create the scipt but I cant run it and the exclamation mark next to the fan is grayed out.

Thank you for your time !

Answer
Options

Re: ideapad 330-15 fan not showing in lenovo diagnostics tool and overheating issues

2019-07-08, 16:07 PM

If it sounds almost like white static, that is mostly a typical fan noise. I just think that your fan runs really quiet as there is no need for massive cooling. Plus, if you don't get performance problems, it most likely is fine. The high temperature, like mentioned before, is normal on these chips.

Replies(13)
Options

Re: ideapad 330-15 fan not showing in lenovo diagnostics tool and overheating issues

2019-07-07, 15:55 PM

Well, a) cooling pads are useless as they only blow air into the tiny slits through which the fan "breathes", it doesn't do a thing.

b) If your laptop doesn't throttle it doesn't have thermal problems. The Intel Core "ultra-low voltage" CPUs with their four cores, for a certain period of time, more than double, sometimes triple their rated TDP of 15 Watts and thus produce excessive amounts of heat. You basically won't find any Core i5/i7 8th gen mobile CPU that doesn't quickly ramp up way above 80-90 degrees. The fans on the device may just be quiet by default thus you don't hear it. If it doesn't offer performance penalty or shut down after a certain time, it is not thermally limited. It is absolutely normal for these CPUs to drastically drive up the thermals. If they get out of line, it does countermeasures like lowering the clock to keep the thermals in check. Which doesn't seem to happen in an extraordinary degree on your laptop, so it's all fine.

About why the fan doesn't show up on the Lenovo tool I can't say anything further, but forget Speedfan, it rarely shows fans on laptops or halfway modern devices.

Options

5 Posts

07-07-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2019-07-08, 6:40 AM

Yeah but the slit is underneath the laptop so is sits on the table, not a lot of air circulates maybe thats a thing? Either way thanks for the info Cheers! 

Options

2019-07-08, 11:12 AM

That's why there are rubber feet on the laptop so that it stands a little elevated for air to pass through. There is a small fan in the laptop that wouldn't even have the throughput to make use of more extra air.

Hold your ear directly on the fan input and exhaust, do you hear anything?

Options

5 Posts

07-07-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2019-07-08, 16:05 PM

A really silent hishing noise. Similar to white static noise.

Answer
Options

2019-07-08, 16:07 PM

If it sounds almost like white static, that is mostly a typical fan noise. I just think that your fan runs really quiet as there is no need for massive cooling. Plus, if you don't get performance problems, it most likely is fine. The high temperature, like mentioned before, is normal on these chips.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

07-07-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2019-07-08, 16:35 PM

Thank you my friend. 

Options

2019-07-08, 16:51 PM

No problem! Enjoy your device. :)

Options

2 Posts

07-11-2019

India

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 9 of 14

Lenovo Ideapad Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD /Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) IP 320E Laptop

2019-07-11, 11:52 AM

Hello everyone,

I have purchased Lenovo Ideapad Core i5 7th
Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD
/Windows 10 Home/2 GB
Graphics) IP 320E Laptop before 18 months and now i am not finding drivers for this machine on site. I am new here can anyone help please and my machine stopped working and showing automatic repair fail and now i am not able to restart it or i am not able to install windows please help what i can do.

Options

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD /Windows 10 Home/2 GB Graphics) IP 320E Laptop

2019-07-11, 11:55 AM

I don't know where the exact thread is (on which, I think, you also commented), but the Intel Optane driver failure after updating the BIOS is a commonly known problem. Plus, you ended up in an entirely wrong thread. When you can enter safe mode, try to uninstall and reinstall the Intel Rapid Storage driver.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms