04-13-2020

US

10 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 3

linux drivers and support

2020-07-13, 4:02 AM

i'm thinking about switching to either kubuntu, pop! os, manjaro, or some other distro of linux, but before i switch, is there driver support for the ideapad flex 5-1570 (model 81ca)?

driver support being fingerprint reader support (maybe?), webcam and mic support, dolby audio (also maybe?), etc.

Options

117 Posts

05-26-2020

IN

28 Signins

465 Page Views

• Views: 465
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:linux drivers and support

2020-07-15, 10:02 AM

It is a very difficult and cumbersome question to answer.

First, decide which distro you want to install then visit the forum of that distro and ask them whether all the components of your system are supported by their distro or not.

In fact, all you have to do is find out whether the Linux kernel supports all the components of your hardware or not.

They will ask you to enter some commands in the CLI of the distro and then ask you to paste it on their forums.

If you want detailed help then go to the forums of respective distros and your questions would be answered.

For example, My laptop has support for all the major distros but the bad thing is no distro supports the Wifi module of my laptop.

I have to install the necessary drivers on the laptop after every installation.

See if such a problem exists for you as well or not.

Options

30 Posts

03-30-2020

DE

27 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:linux drivers and support

2020-07-22, 9:57 AM
Adding on what CJustin05 said, if you can find out what the hardware exactly is you can check if it is supported. You may want to try a live-system before installing it to see how it works. On a very recent Laptop you will probably have more luck with a rolling release like Tumbleweed: https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed#Live-ports
X1 Extreme Gen.2 running openSUSE Tumbleweed
T520 (Tumbleweed as well) ...and some older ThinkPads
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete