English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-13-2021

PH

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

screen turns completely black when lowering brightness level

2021-01-13, 15:22 PM

When I boot up my laptop (IdeaPad 3 - AMD Ryzen 7 with Radeon Graphics) and I change brightness level up or down everything is okay. But after I lock my screen and sign back in then try to lower my brightness display level, my screen turns completely black until I press the button to increase brightness.
Can anyone help?

Options

59 Posts

01-08-2021

PH

12 Signins

475 Page Views

• Views: 475
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:screen turns completely black when lowering brightness level

2021-01-13, 16:32 PM

Hello @karlmazing,

Greetings.

Would the other hotkeys also have issues too?

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

You can try to run an update on the display adapter by going to Device Manager > Click View then 'Show hidden files' > Update the display drivers under Display Adapter.

You can also update Display Drivers from our support site, enter the machine serial number, go to Drivers and Software > Choose Manual Update > Display and Graphics. Download and install the corresponding driver to your machine.

Try to check if the adaptive brightness is enabled. You can check the forum threads here and through the steps below.

1. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound and open Power Options.
2. Click Change plan settings on whichever plan currently selected to open Edit Plan Settings window.

3. Click Change advanced power settings, it will open up Advanced settings window. Expand the Display option, under Enable adaptive brightness, turn it off on both the battery and plugged in modes.

4. Note that the Adaptive Brightness is available on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but will only be visible if the device is equipped with the light sensors.

If it shows the same issue then try rolling back the driver from Device Manager > Right click for properties > Look for rollback option.

Update us how it goes.

Regards.​

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

01-13-2021

PH

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:screen turns completely black when lowering brightness level

2021-01-14, 11:25 AM

When I got my laptop I noticed volume and brightness display hotkeys are not working properly (they move up and down but volume and display do not change) so I updated my driver. I downloaded from AMD website from their Auto-Detect "download now" button. Then I thought I solved the issue but then when my computer goes to sleep and I sign back in, my screen shuts off when I lower the brightness. 

So, to answer the question "Would the other hotkeys also have issues too?" - Yes, volume hotkeys under the original driver installed and the one I downloaded from Lenovo website. I experienced the original issue when I manually installed the driver. 

MTM: 81W30074PH

There is no adaptive brightness control setting.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms