Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobB43
Paper Tape
Views: 4,034
Message 1 of 4

100% disk Ideapad 320

My Ideapad 320, running Windows 10 Home ver 1803, 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, Intel Pentium N4200 Quad-Core Processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive. Takes a very long time to start. Sometimes unusable. 100% disk usage almost all the time. Not using Chrome or Skype. When 100% almost nothing actually using the disk, often 0.1 Mbs per process, and 4 running. Almost always Windows system processses or McAfee. Have talked to Lenovo support, they tell me I would have to pay for software support. This kind of behavior began within the last few months. Very frankly my 10" Amazon Fire tablet is more useful! Where do I begin?

BobB43
Paper Tape
Views: 3,965
Message 2 of 4

Re: 100% disk Ideapad 320

Reading other similar posts about 100% disk and sluggish performance, I saw recommendations to reinstall windows 10. That is also what microsoft recommended. Microsoft gave me instructions on how to download to usb. Did that. Could not get laptop to boot from usb. Contacted lenovo chat support who gave me misinformation on how to get into bios setup using the novo key and f12; neither worked. Lenovo's own instructions on line in support pages said to use the novo key or Fn+F2 not F12, but also that these methods may be disbled. Found lenovo support article on using windows 10 UEFI interface to reset bios boot order so usb was recognized as boot device. This was familiar territory from very old PC days to change boot order. That worked. Laptop booted from usb. Windows "upgrade" in process; almost done. Will tell you how it works out.

BAD support from lenovo chat support. Saw comments in here and in other sources that the build on an ideapad can be the problem with both the 100% disk problem and sluggish performance. The chat support person wanted to have me order a "rusb" from lenovo. Microsoft had told me specifically in a remote diagnosis session to reinstall Windows 10 and NOT use a configuration from lenovo. Microsoft gave me detailed instructions on preparing usb via download from microsoft support and installing the install media, but they did not have specifics on how to boot from usb for lenovo ideapad.

bobbear43
Paper Tape
Views: 3,950
Message 3 of 4

(Original username is back. ??) WIndows 10 re-install complete. Now I have a computer again. Normal stats in Task Manager. Normal disk usage. Very good response time. (My little Amazon Fire 10" tablet is faster, however.)

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 3,937
Message 4 of 4

had this problem on my old z70-80. disabled pagefile and problem solved (reinstalling windows and updates and drivers did nothing to solve the problem). so far, on my new 330 17, haven't had this problem come up.

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors