Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtscott
What's DOS?
Views: 31,773
Message 1 of 5

100S-11IBY Laptop (ideapad) Hard Drive Replacement

I have the 10.6" little red 100s Ideapad with Win 10. It comes with a 32GB eMMC SSD and I thought that would be sufficient, as it is a 2nd system for me. I have a 'workhorse' Dell laptop that I use at work and home and I bought this to take to class and travelling, etc. I really thought I could get away with the smaller drive. I put a large micro SD card in and keept many of my files in the cloud, but I am still running out of space. I would like to replace the SSD with a larger one, like 120 GB, nothing too huge. Can it be removed from this system easily? What is the size of the drive, the specs, what can I buy to match it? or is it even possible?

Thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 31,750
Message 2 of 5

Re: 100S-11IBY Laptop (ideapad) Hard Drive Replacement

Good day and welcome to the community.

Looking at the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_100s_11_iby_hmm_201509.pdf there is no place to install any kind of SSD. The 32GB of eMMC (embedded MultiMedia Card) storage is soldered to the system board. There appear to also be 64GB variants of the system board, so that's the maximum.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

mtscott
What's DOS?
Views: 31,742
Message 3 of 5

Thank you, I really appreciate the help with this. Is there any way I can get more of my stuff onto the SD card and off the drive? Like the software?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 31,741
Message 4 of 5

I suppose that would depend on the specific software, and whether it can be installed to removable media. You may have to experiment a bit.

Apologies, but I don't have much experience with this type of machine.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

L92gbd
Paper Tape
Views: 16,492
Message 5 of 5

You are quite right.  The eMMC drive is not upgradable since it is soldered to the motherboard.  You can upgrade by replacing the entire motherboard with FRU 5B20K38955 which has a 64GB eMMC drive but I imagine the cost is prohibitive.  Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade the memory which is 2GB and also soldered to the motherboard.  Both motherboards contain the 2GB memory limit.  Windows 10 Home requires a minimum of 2GB to run and supports 8GB memory.  The motherboard with the 32GB eMMC drive, FRU 5B20K38932, is so small that Lenovo set up a WIM Boot file on the hard drive.  This file slows boot time and shutdown time because it is a compressed file that takes up only 16GB of the disk (right click Windows Start and click Disk Management. It will be labelled with WIM Boot).  That leaves you with 11GB after the OS installation.  There is a problem with hybrid shutdown in this configuration.  You must disable it in power options or the system may periodically hang in shutdown.

If you install applications and store files on the disk you will quickly run out of space.  The OS requires about 3-5GB of free space for file maintenance so usable storage is only about 6GB.  You can migrate applications to your SD card and backup to the SD card and change your Documents folder to the SD card as well.  This shouldn't work too badly.

However, you will get a *lot* of delays using any application that requires physical memory.  Web browsers require video memory and you will get slowdowns of 10's of seconds with only one tab open no matter what browser you use. I've tried it. Just starting a browser, you will have commit memory of 19GB and the rest in swap.  Starting other apps will exacerbate the issue.  So if you are looking for a larger disk to handle more programs, you had better upgrade to something else.

Talk to your vendor to determine if the sale was misrepresented in any way.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors