Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zubru
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 1 of 4

ATA Password master bios hdd removal

Hello,

could you tell me how, or provide software to remove bios hdd master password from hdd on lenovo laptop 720S-14KIB. In ATA-3 specification there is mentioned that it should be possible but with removal of data.
I remember user password so I can easly make backup. But I would like to remove/change password. How I should do this?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 330
Message 2 of 4

Re: ATA Password master bios hdd removal

@zubru wrote:

Hello,

could you tell me how, or provide software to remove bios hdd master password from hdd on lenovo laptop 720S-14KIB. In ATA-3 specification there is mentioned that it should be possible but with removal of data.
I remember user password so I can easly make backup. But I would like to remove/change password. How I should do this?

The only way to remove the password is to know it and use it on the appropriate BIOS screen. If you don't know the master HDD pwd, you can't remove it.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 318
Message 3 of 4

@NateS I know that, but the ATA spec lets you get in to do a security erase without the master.  You cannot do that on a Thinkpad because the PW is encrypted.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
zubru
Paper Tape
Views: 290
Message 4 of 4

So what? Should make lenovo complaint and get new disk because there is no warnings?

There should be option to reset/move to factory state my disk

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors