Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladimia
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,433
Message 1 of 4

Adding SSD M2 to 520s - 14IKB

Hi Lenovo,

Can you please help with some advise, regarding the unit type: 520s-14ikb - 80X200H1RI. I seem to have the the M.2 port on the MB, but i've tried WD, 240GB, Green, SATA3, M.2 2280, and cannot be seen in BIOS (UEFI nor Legacy) or windows. I've even updated the latest version of BIOS. The unit came with a Seagate 1TB HDD.

Can you please tell me if the port is electronically enabled or not. I just want to know what to do.. Try another M2 SSD or return it for a Sata SSD .

I believe the MB part number is : 5B20Q11054

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,429
Message 2 of 4

Re: Adding SSD M2 to 520s - 14IKB

Hello and welcome,

According to the base spec that m.2 slot is PCIe:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20520S%20(14_)/ideapad%20520S_14.pd...

"Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0 x 4"

The SSD you're trying to use is SATA.  They are not compatible.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Vladimia
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,405
Message 3 of 4

Thnaks Zoltan,

So according to the specs platform, the mainboard has the port working? Cuz there are several discussions on the 520s where they say the port might be electronically disabled on some 520s models. Mine has the i3-7130 processor, and in the list i see only I5 gen 8
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,397
Message 4 of 4

I can't tell from the spec if having an HDD or SSD in the HDD slot somehow is exclusive of an m.2 SSD.  All I can say is that the spec indicates that when an m.2 is supported it is PCIe not SATA.

[edit to add]  There is one MT-M in the list that incudes both.  That's at least promising...

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Laptops/ideapad_520S_14

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors