Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iebadawi95
Paper Tape
Views: 13,285
Message 1 of 8

Audio takes 5 seconds to start after I begin playback

Hi,

I have an Ideapad Flex 4-1480-80VD that I bought under a month ago and I started experiencing a weird issue. When I try to watch or listen to anything with audio (YouTube or music/video files on my hard drive), it takes 5 seconds for the audio to kick in. There is no sync issue, the audio is just starting after a delay. (I am not 100% sure, but I think this started after the audio driver disappeared out of nowhere one day while sitting in class. I wasn't having any issues but then noticed that there was a red marker on the speaker volume icon on my taskbar. When I clicked on it, Windows scanned for hardware changes, so I'm guessing it noticed the driver was missing and re-installed it.)

Anyway, if I stop the file and take more than 8-10 seconds to open or start another file/YouTube video, I experience the 5 second delay again. If I start the next video in under 8 seconds, I have no issue and everything works fine.

It's as if some audio component is going to sleep each time and it takes those 5 seconds to startup.

I've tried everything I can think of regarding updating, unistalling and reinstalling drivers or tweeking audio settings. I've also tried disabling the Harman enhancement to no avail. If nothing works I'll guess I'll have to factory reset the PC, which I don't necessarily feel like doing lol.

Of course it's not a major issue, but it does get irritating. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,248
Message 2 of 8

Re: Audio takes 5 seconds to start after I begin playback

I would not go to such drastic measures as resetting your system, since it is most likely, as you suspect, a driver issue.  

Have you tried seeing if an older driver exists on your system that does not have the problem

• Right clicking on your sound card in Device Manager, and select Properties
  • Select the Driver tab
  • Select Update Driver
  • Select Browse my Computer for driver software
  • Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my system
  • In the resulting window, you should see a list of all the drivers currently stored on your system

You mentioned that you have uninstalled and reinstalled, but when uninstalling, have you checked the box to Delete the driver software for this device when doing so, for if not, Windows will normally not install the clean copy you downloaded, but rather just reload the already installed copy that could be corrupted.

Also there was an issue reported with Conextant Audio Drivers on other Lenovo laptops that was fixed with a driver update, but your system appears to use the Realtek HD Audio card, is that correct?

iebadawi95
Paper Tape
Views: 13,240
Message 3 of 8

I tried installing an older version of the driver a few hours ago but it didn't work. And I also did delete the driver software when I tried to uninstall/reinstall the driver.

And yes you are correct, my system uses Realtek HD Audio card.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,214
Message 4 of 8

You might try switching to the generic Microsoft High Definition Audio driver and see if that works any better, if for no other reason than to determine if the driver is the issue

• Select the Driver tab
  • Select Update Driver
  • Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my system and select "High Definition Audio Device"

Another thing to try, if you have not already, is to right click on the speaker icon in the lower right, and select "Troubleshoot sound problems" and let Windows try to find and fix any problems.   

Another option is to try installing the Realtek HD Audio Codec/Driver directly from Realtek, which currently is currently version 2.81 dated 1-13-2017.

Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&Down...

Note:   I have noticed that the Realtek site sometimes says "Object Moved Here" once you accept the agreement, but if you click on "Here", and then on the next page you Do Not re-accept the agreement, you can select "HD Audo Codec Driver" from the Quick Links in the lower right, and it will take you to the download page where you can get the driver.

Good Luck,

iebadawi95
Paper Tape
Views: 13,209
Message 5 of 8

I read about that first solution on another forum but I don't seem to have the option to the Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver as it doesn't appear in the list.

As for troubleshooting, Windows only propsed to turn off the audio enhancement (by Harman) but it didn't work either.

For the 3rd option, I also already tried to no avail.

Thanks for your help

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 13,198
Message 6 of 8

If the Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver does not appear in the list, it may not be compatible, but I would try it anyway.

• Select the Driver tab
  • Select Update Driver
  • Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my system
  • Uncheck the box to "Show compatible hardware", then pick Microsoft's as the Manufacturer, and "High Definition Audio Device" as the Model.

Other things to try would be to run Checkdisk and Defrag the HD if needed.

Checkdisk

• Right click on start, and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type:  chkdsk c:  and press enter
  • If any errors are found, then type:   chkdsk c: /f    and press Y when prompted to schedule the scan on the next reboot
  • Reboot the computer and allow the scan to run in "fix mode"

Defrag

Start >> Run type dfrgui.exe and press enter

Run a Windows System File Check (SFC) scan to ensure that all your Windows specific drivers are in tact.    It is a long shot, but worth a try.

Run a System File Check scan .

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type:  sfc /scannow  and press Enter
  • Let the disk check run (it could take 30 minutes or more)
  • At the end of the SFC scan, it will report that it either found no errors, found errors but fixed them all, or found errors but was not able to fix all of them.
  • If  it was unable to fix all of them, then you would need to run the DISM utility to update the local Windows Component Store cache, and then re-run the SFC Scan again to repair the files.

Run DISM (if needed)

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  • Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  and press Enter 

Note:   After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files left unrepaired earlier using the new files retrieved using DISM.

Good Luck,

iebadawi95
Paper Tape
Views: 13,175
Message 7 of 8

Finally I just reset the PC to factory settings since I was having another issue concerning wifi connectivity. Audio is working fine now.

Thank you for your help however, I'll keep these potential solutions in mind in case it happens again.

bschwar2
Paper Tape
Views: 12,953
Message 8 of 8

I have the same problem. Would you mind going into the device properties for your audio and letting me know what it says so I can compare to mine which has the delay problem? Thanks.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors