Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard49
Serial Port
Views: 9,891
Message 1 of 6

Battery Draining When Turned Off

My wife has recently purchased the Lenovo Ideapad 320S and is finding that after turning the laptop off (using Power> Shut Down) on opening the laptop the next day the power level has dropped about 30%.

My Lenovo Laptop doesn't have this problem, thankfully.

Might you have any information that might be of use otherwise we'll have to take it back to where we bought it?

thanks.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,805
Message 2 of 6

Re: Battery Draining When Turned Off

I experienced similar loss, turned my IdealPad 110 off at night shut it completely down at 87% and when I boot up in AM it was at 70%. Its difficult to know if the battery level is that off, or if I really did see a loss of 15% over night? 

I suppose its possible to have a parasitic draw but 15% with laptop off seems a bit much. I can't offer much of a solution myself, only to say I have a similar experience. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,798
Message 3 of 6

@richard49 wrote:

My wife has recently purchased the Lenovo Ideapad 320S and is finding that after turning the laptop off (using Power> Shut Down) on opening the laptop the next day the power level has dropped about 30%.

You could try disabling Windows "Fast Start" (it is enabled by default).  "Fast Start" is well hidden in Windows, because Microsoft don't want you to disable it, so you will need to google to find the instructions.

"Fast Start" is really hibernation under another name, and when you click "Power" and then "Shut Down", Windows interprets that to mean "Hibernate", so the system is not actually shutting down at all.

The point about hibernation is that the system is allowed to wake up at all sorts of times (e.g. in the middle of the night) to do whatever it takes a fancy to.  Possibly trying to download updates, perhaps trying to install updates, maybe defragmenting the disk, and so on.  This consumes the battery, of course.

One final point: every major Windows update re-enables "Fast Start", so you need to check periodically, and disable it again.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,794
Message 4 of 6

This is interesting because Microsoft's description of Fast Start claims no significant loss of battery in this mode. I would say 15% in 8 hours is significant. I will have to try and disable it and see if it does make a difference. Would be nice if Microsoft would respect that shut down means just that you want it off. 

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,782
Message 5 of 6

So I disabled Fast startup and shut down laptop for 4 hours noting percentage at shut down at 40%. When I boot up and PC stabalized it was 39% so no significant battery loss. The curious thing I noticed is a significant increase in boot up time. Which I understand would happen but was not expecting such a big increase. I now understand why Microsoft enables Fast Startup by default. It really hides the fact Windows in all reality has a very long boot time with a more traditional cold boot startup. I don't think this is worth enduring for saving battery life. I would not be so critical of this but my cheap 110 IdealPad has a pretty low capacity battery anyway, barely getting 3 hours in normal use. 

Khairi_Arif
What's DOS?
Views: 1,749
Message 6 of 6

I have the same problem with my 320s. after disable the fast start option, the percentage drop from 30 % to 10%. I'm curious about other product or model. why only affect the 320s?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors