Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qim1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 1 of 6

Bios update

I have a Lenovo 320-15ISK

Whenever I am told to update the Bios and I do so, I get the message attached. Could you explain what is happening, please?

Thank you.

qim

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 184
Message 2 of 6

Betreff: Bios update

It always shows that message on every BIOS. What I need to mention is that Lenovo is especially known for bad BIOSes that might end up bricking your device, so as long as there are no BIOS issues or other hardware issues that might be related to the BIOS, it is in general best not to upgrade.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 181
Message 3 of 6

@Benji96 wrote:

It always shows that message on every BIOS. What I need to mention is that Lenovo is especially known for bad BIOSes that might end up bricking your device, so as long as there are no BIOS issues or other hardware issues that might be related to the BIOS, it is in general best not to upgrade.

While it's true that BIOS updates should be approached with care, and it does mention in the README files that an update might not need to be applied if all is well with the machine, let's not over-generalize with statements like what I highlighted above, please.

I have been using ThinkPads for 21 years, and Yoga consumer-line models for more than 5. In that time I've done many BIOS updates, and I've never had a bad experience. While there are always exceptions, they are not the general experience.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 173
Message 4 of 6

That might be, but did you recently look around in this forum? A lot of BIOS issues from entirely bricking devices to wrecking the Optane ability by not upgrading to the necessary driver before to issues with the BIOS not saving stuff is being seen not very uncommon. Read a thread about the 720s, the BIOS update completely destroyed it even though it ran through fine. It is especially apparent on Lenovo devices, and that can be readily found through Google, but mostly on Lenovo devices.

But I think we should remain at the point that, unless it is absoltely necessary, not to run any BIOS updates.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 155
Message 5 of 6

@Benji96 wrote:

That might be, but did you recently look around in this forum?

<...>

But I think we should remain at the point that, unless it is absoltely necessary, not to run any BIOS updates.

I "look around" all of our subforums, all of the time. My avatar is an all-seeing eye, after all. Smiley Wink

To my earlier statement, though, over-generalizations serve little useful purpose.

On your last statement, we agree, and so does Lenovo as evidenced by the statement in the README files. Good to have this thread back on-topic.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 120
Message 6 of 6

Re: Bios update

@qim1 wrote:

I have a Lenovo 320-15ISK

Whenever I am told to update the Bios and I do so, I get the message attached. Could you explain what is happening, please?

Thank you.

qim

Hello @qim1,

To answer your question and to be specific - in your post you stated that your model is 320-15ISK. The message is stating that the BIOS is only for the models listed; 320 0r 520 with 14, 15, 17 IKB or ISK. I have highlighted in blue the information which is relevant to you.

In short. Yes that is the correct BIOS for your 320-15ISK. Please refer to the readme file for installation instructions.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/4wcn45ww.txt

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors