Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrGrego
Paper Tape
Views: 3,569
Message 1 of 4

Bitlocker activated

Hello

I ahve an ideaPad 100s running Windows 10.

I wanted to install Linux however after trying to change boot order, bootlocker was activated and I am now sitting with a brand new machine that I cannot use

I across this thread and now I know how to change boot order, however I still have the problem that I am locked out.I I have even tried to reset to factory settings but alas, this also does not work.

Any ideas as to how I can get recover the bitlocker recovery key? I did not save it anywhere :-(

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,542
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bitlocker activated

Hello and welcome,

I don't yet have any experience with this issue but IIRC Bitlocker wouldn't activate without signing into your Microsoft account.  (Drive may be encrypted but Bitlocker isn't supposed to activate w/out an account.)

Try to recover the key via your account:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026181/windows-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

MrGrego
Paper Tape
Views: 3,524
Message 3 of 4

Hello Z and thanks for replying. I have already tried that without success. Get message that no Bitlocker key has been registered

Any other ideas?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,515
Message 4 of 4

You can try booting back into Windows and using one of the approaches suggested by The Google to disable bitlocker and decrypt the drive.

Settings (search "bitlocker") -> Manage Bitlocker

The one time I ended up with a similar issue the GUI options were grayed out. I ended up using the command line from an elevated command prompt: 

1.  open command prompt as administrator

2.  "manage-bde.exe C: -off"       (or whatever the drive letter is)

I'm a little hesitant recommending that since I have only one limited exposure to it, and little understanding Smiley Sad

Try the "standard" GUI approaches first.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors