Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tristams
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,542
Message 1 of 3

Boot Fail after latest BIOS Update on Flex 2-15D

Hi everyone,

I have a severe problem (I guess) after the latest BIOS Update. Windows 7 freezes during startup.

I own a 64-bit Lenovo FLex 2 15D with AMD A6-6310 and R4, 4GB RAM and a SSHD (8GBSSH). I purchased it without OS and installed Windows 7 - which worked fine so far.

I yesterday updated the BIOS with version 9FCN23WW (for Win7 and Win8), the latest BIOS update. A mistake, it seems.

After Reboot, I first had to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS, because it would not let me boot at all. I figured out how to get into the BIOS-Setup to disable this (press Enter 2x, press Tab when in the Boot Menu to access the "Apps Menu", then "SETUP" - just in case this helps someone).

Now Win7 begins to start up, but freezes during the startup process (the splash screen with the win flag freezes and looks a bit strange. I used the "protected mode" Windows Startup and saw that the process always hangs when loading "amdkmpfd.sys".

That is basically it.I guess I have to find a way to re-install the previous version of the BIOS, but I have no idea how!

Any idea?!

Now about what I did to fix this (poor, but I tried):

If I try to start from a Win7 installation CD-ROM (actually it is one for Dell PCs, but I guess that is not the problem) and press a key to boot from CD, Windows loads files, shows "Starting Windows"  and at a certain point again just freezes. When I -do not- press a key, WIndows Boot Manager shows up and mentions that "Windows failed to start (etc.)" "File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD" "An Error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

I can't even boot into Linux on a USB stick, because the Windows "Error Recovery" (translated from German, sorry - my guess) won't let me when I try (just offers to boot to Win7 in protected mode - it could be that it fails immediately and jumps back to Win Startup).

Thank you for every bit of help!

Tristam

tristams
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,523
Message 2 of 3

Re: Boot Fail after latest BIOS Update on Flex 2-15D

I found our the solution to my problem with the help of SebastianLenovo ...

In the BIOS / Boot Mode, I switched back from "UEFI" to "Legacy". That's it. That simple. The BIOS Upgrade routine just did not transfer that setting from the old BIOS to the new.

Given the fact that 1. I did not change that setting, so it is default and 2. it would have been easy to avoid, if the BIOS update routine would be well programmed to transfer the current BIOS settings to the new, upgraded BIOS ...

Anyway a strange situation that a 64-bit system has a 32-bit BIOS. Actually no Linux distribution (except FatDog and rescue systems) are able to deal with it - Linux only running as a Virtual Machine under Windows. I think this is inappropriate and really taking away a part of the fun if you can not run this laptop as a dual boot system.

Thanks to Sebastian and I hope this solution helps someone in the future...

Regards, Tristam.

Roberto65
What's DOS?
Views: 3,182
Message 3 of 3

Re: Boot Fail after latest BIOS Update on Flex 2-15D

Hi I have the same problem.

I yesterday updated the BIOS with version 9FCN23WW (for Win7 and Win8), the latest BIOS update. A mistake, it seems.
After Reboot, I first had to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS, because it would not let me boot at all. I figured out how to get into the BIOS-Setup to disable this (press Enter 2x, press Tab when in the Boot Menu to access the "Apps Menu", then "SETUP" - just in case this helps someone).

but I have not solved with the change of UEFI Legacy.??

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors