Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CivilZombie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,270
Message 1 of 10

Brand New 700-15ISK Slow & Laggy

Hi all,

I just purchased a Lenovo 700-15ISK i5-6300HQ GTX950M Laptop with 8GB RAM and it's been rather slow and laggy from the get-go (Edge takes a long time to open, folders lag a bit before opening, etc.) The only programs that I have installed (apart from the ones that came by default with the computer) are Avast Free Antivirus and Steam. 

Laptop is running on Windows 10.

I just wanted to see if anyone has had any similar problems and if there is any sort of solution.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,249
Message 2 of 10

Re: Brand New 700-15ISK Slow & Laggy

@CivilZombie wrote:

I just purchased a Lenovo 700-15ISK i5-6300HQ GTX950M Laptop with 8GB RAM and it's been rather slow and laggy from the get-go (Edge takes a long time to open, folders lag a bit before opening, etc.)

On a new system (or a fresh install of Windows 10), Windows spends a lot of time "doing stuff".  It may be downloading updates, or installing updates, or indexing your hard disk, or ...  After some period of time (days?), Windows should settle to a lower level of activity.

To see what is happening, open "Task Manager" to view the charts showing system activity (CPU use, disk use, memory use, network use).  Right click the "Start" button, and then left click "Task Manager".  The columns of data can be sorted to show you who is using the most CPU, or the most disk, etc.

You may also want to have a look at "Resource Monitor", which shows in more detail who is using what.  You can access "Resource Monitor" from "Task Manager".

Does your system have a mechanical hard disk or an SSD?  The hard disk fitted in the 700-15ISK is quite slow, and it may be this that is contributing to the slow performance (if you don't have an SSD).   I suspect that most 700 users either buy it with an SSD, or subsequently fit an SSD, so you might want to consider adding an SSD to your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CivilZombie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,239
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your response,

My laptop does indeed have a hard disk. I was told I might need an SSD in the future but I didn't expect I'd need one from the beginning.

Will wait it out and see if it gets better.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,226
Message 4 of 10

Please MS sysinfo and state which version of windows 10 you are on

You might want to update to Windows 10 Creators edition.

Edge was trashing my memory usage around all the time, like a crazy washing machine on the spin cycle.  Creators edition calmed this down.

Also OPTIMIZE (defrag) your HDD. 

As stated above, SSD is the way to go.  Hope your budget allows it.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,220
Message 5 of 10

@sclexman wrote:

Edge was trashing my memory usage around all the time, like a crazy washing machine on the spin cycle.  Creators edition calmed this down.

I think that we are still in the "pre-release" phase of Windows 10 development.  Microsoft are still debugging it prior to its first release to end users.

I have the i7 version of the 700-15ISK, with double SSDs (it arrived with an M.2 NVMe SSD plus HDD, and I replaced the HDD with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD).  I have this set up with multiple bootable partitions, and I happened to have two partitions containing identical images of the Win 10 Anniversary edition.  Then I connected it to the internet and activated Windows Update, expecting it to download the Creators edition.  It did download some updates, but not the Creators edition.

The interesting point is the difference between these two partitions.  The one without the updates consumed 80% of one of the CPU cores all of the time, even when I wasn't doing anything; the system never quiesced (and I mean never -- even rebooting did not stop it).  In contrast, the one with the updates quiesced to about 1% CPU usage soon after boot.  It is possible that CivilZombie's system is currently suffering from a less than optimal piece of code somewhere within Windows.

By the way, CivilZombie should check the BIOS version, and update it to the version "e5cn60ww" if not already at that level, as this version contains important usability fixes (keyboard, trackpad, battery).  The BIOS can be downloaded from the support page for the 700-15ISK on this web site.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,218
Message 6 of 10

CivilZombie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,210
Message 7 of 10

Wow, thanks for the responses, will try out everything you said and see if it gets better, I'm also going to check whether Win10 is up to date just in case.

Cheers.

CivilZombie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,207
Message 8 of 10

And while we're at it, does anyone now how to disable the FN keys in this model? In the rpevious model I had I just had to press FN+ESC, now I'm seeing the only way to do it is to access the bios? How to I actually access the bios?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,196
Message 9 of 10

@CivilZombie wrote:

And while we're at it, does anyone now how to disable the FN keys in this model? In the rpevious model I had I just had to press FN+ESC, now I'm seeing the only way to do it is to access the bios? How to I actually access the bios?

With the system powered off, press the "Novo" button.  That will display a small menu with one of the choices being "BIOS Setup".  Select that and you enter the BIOS and can change the settings.  You need to disable a setting called "Hotkey Mode".

The "Novo" button is a button hidden beneath the casing on the left side.  You press it by inserting something like the end of a paper clip through the hole to press the button.  I use one of those rigid wire tools supplied with CD/DVD drives that open the drive when the power is off.

You should download the "User Guide" and also the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" from the support page on this web site.  Those will indicate where the hole for the "Novo" button is located.  Scroll to the bottom of this page and select "Manuals" in the "Support" column.

CivilZombie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,156
Message 10 of 10

It Worked! Thanks a ton for your help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors