Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShahinA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,652
Message 1 of 8

Can I install a secondary internal hard drive on my lenovo flex 3

I have a flex 3 MO R9N0B5C15004, and I read the only manul document I could find for it, which did not say anything about the hard drive or the possiblity of installing a secondary internal drive. My question is if I can install a secondary internal hard drive for my laptop please, and where can I find user manuals which are more relevant to my laptop please. I have registered my device.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,631
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I install a secondary internal hard drive on my lenovo flex 3

Do you have a Flex 3  1570, Flex3 1120, etc?

Please run MS sysinfo and see what model it states.  I could not find anything on the model you stated. 

It is my understanding Flex 3's do not have any seconday storage slots inside the machine.

You would have to upgrade your existing HDD.

ShahinA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,628
Message 3 of 8

Thanks. It is a Flex 3 - 1480. The current hard drive is a Samsung MZYLN256HCHP. Would it be possible to connect a 1 TB Hard Drive to one of the USB slots via an upgrade cable and manually assign a drive letter to it and configure it as a secondary hard drive?  

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,612
Message 4 of 8

You have a Samsung 256GB SSD in the HDD/SSD slot. 

You could buy a Seagate 1TB external USB-HDD similar to

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=seagate+1tb+external+&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&t...

$55 bucks. Wait for it to go onsale. $44?

I use USB-HDD for my backups

Spend $5 more for Seagate dashboard. Notes below.

Just be aware of your USB ports 2.0 or 3.0. ALL 3.0 USB-HDD should support both 2.0 and 3.0.

Just plug it in with USB cable.

No, not 6GB a second(4.8GB). It should help your storage situation.   

===

I have the slim,$60, which includes Seagate Dashboard. Dashboard is www.nero.com backup software. It allows incremental backup of your personal data on the C drive. Not software backups. This is *best bet*.

Use dashboard daily or weekly for personal data.

Use windows backup to back up your C drive or FULL SSD to the Slim drive. 

FULL SSD is system image(yep).

Forget all other windows backup options. Confusing.

Create windows system repair disc, yes. Do this standalone to CD/DVD or USB stick.

YES, you can use the slim drive for any data your desire.  Just create a folder. drop and drag etc.

=

Did I not say FORGET windows restore points? Forget windows restore points.  Turn it off.  It will save space on the SSD. Use Repair disc+latest full image restore, and dashboard restore.

=

This disaster recovery plan applies to ALL users, not just you.

I also backup to DVD and 2nd hard drive. I can recover my system in 45 minutes to yesterday 4 pm, boot up + roll forward/add vendor software backups (quicken, aol, etc) 

My background is problem determination and disaster recovery.

Of course you must test YOUR plan. Do it on a calm day.

Never ever go back to a Factory recovery.  You will have a nightmare on Elm street.

ShahinA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,586
Message 5 of 8

Thank you so much for the very thorough answer, which addressed a number of items I was struggling with. May I add a couple more and ask if you can ellaborate please. You see, I really need to expand the space for the programs which I install, and not for back up and storage solution so I am thinking about moving the programs folder to a secondary hard drive; that way I don't have to get rid of a perfectly functioning SSD HD, and get more space for installing MS office along with Visual Studio and some of the related software which as it stands won't leave room for breathing if installed together. My understanding is that the letter associated with the hard drive in external drive configuration changes every time to connect it, and as such is not ideal for moving the programs folder to it, but if I can configure it as a secondary internal hard drive I am good to go. So the question is can I do this with the drive you suggested above? If the only thing important is to have a persistant drive letter, can I just configure that and then use the drive as the location with I install my programs? If that is the case then life would be perfect.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,582
Message 6 of 8

Do not install any programs on USB-HDD or secondary drive.

Download spacesniffer and lets take inventory of your SSD.

https://spacesniffer.en.softonic.com/

Also what OS do you have installed? win 7 windows update accumulates junk in c\windows.

ShahinA
Paper Tape
Views: 1,574
Message 7 of 8

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,563
Message 8 of 8

You have 18GB in C\*yourid*\downloads.

You have 10GB in  c\*yourid*\.android.

You have 32GB in c\*yourid*\appdata. 

Download can be MOVED to external usb-HDD.

Is .android a backup of your phone? move it also

Lookinside appdata folders and subfolder for big users of space.

I am aware you can have software installed to 2nd HDD.    

You will have a gigantic mess on your hands.

Example, do a windows restore of the FULL HDD. Your sidekick 2nd HDD is now out of sync.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors