cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_uk
Punch Card
Views: 1,191
Message 1 of 3

Can I put an SSD drive in my ideapad 510?

Hi, I have literally just bought an ideapad 510 laptop that comes with just a 1tb 5400rpm hard drive, it's a Xmas present for myself lol

I haven't opened it yet if cause but I have seen these ssd drives going pretty cheap at the moment Crucial MX300 525 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD and wondered 1. Will it fit in my laptop along side the current drive and 2. Is there an easy way of moving the OS straight over to the ssd. And 3. If answer to number 2 is no how would I be best going about setting the ssd as the main drive and installing my windows 10 in it and then formatting my current drive?

Any help would be great as I haven't bought the ssd yet but am really tempted while it's cheap.

Regards

James

james_uk
Punch Card
Views: 1,164
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can I put an SSD drive in my ideapad 510?

Anyone please as I was wanting to order by the end of tonight

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,157
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can I put an SSD drive in my ideapad 510?

Hi,

I'd prefer this was answered by someone with a 510.  That's not me...

According to the PSREF document your laptop can take a 7mm or 9.5mm drive.  The SSD you mention is a 7mm drive with a 9.5mm adapter so it should fit.

It's always a bit of a crap-shoot whether a given SSD will work in a given laptop model.  I've had mixed results with Crucial and ThinkPads.  If the vendor has a reasonable return policy that would help.  When they're not compatible it's pretty obvious.  The SSD isn't detected as a boot device.

You will have to replace the HDD with the new SSD. If this is a new laptop my approach would be to make recovery media and then use that to install Windows to the SSD.  If you already have programs and data installed you can use one of the free or not-free cloning apps to migrate to the SSD.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20510%20(15_)/ideapad%20510_15_spec...

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ideapad 510-15ISK, 510-15IKB

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors