Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 880
Message 1 of 4

Can I upgrade RAM on Ideapad 300S-14ISK

I have an Ideapad 300S-14ISK too and my understanding is that it has only ONE memory slot.

Mine came with 8GB. Spec sheet mentioned - "upto 8GB DDR3L".

The chipset can handle 16GB and I was wondering if I can put another 8GB in this unit (if it has 2 slots) OR even swap out the 8GB and put ONE 16GB, if laptop can support it.

Thanks,

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 842
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I upgrade RAM on Ideapad 300S-14ISK

Good day.

According to page 41 of the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_300s-14isk_500s-14isk_hmm_201509.pdf there is only one memory slot. Apologies, but I can't say whether it'll support a single 16GB SO-DIMM.

Hope this helps a bit, until a member with more info can comment.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 830
Message 3 of 4

Yes, had looked at HMM earlier and it did seem to indicate only ONE slot.

However, in my experience, I've seen situations where manufacturers claimed max 4GB or 8GB but chipset allowed for more and people had been able to use more RAM than what the documentation suggested.

Hopefully someone who has actually done this might be able to throw some light on this.

Looked at crucial and a couple of others and they do not seem to have any 16GB RAM for this unit. Again, not the final word.

I would also like to see how to open the back cover of this unit (have asked in another post). Since this is not my laptop I really do not want to force open lest I break some tab etc. that keeps the cover in place. Once I have the unit opened, perhaps I can get a 16GB stick from Micro Center and see if it works. If not, then perhaps they would accept a return.

Thanks

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 755
Message 4 of 4

Finally tried and was able to open this laptop and see the RAM.

Hynix 8GB PC3L - 12800S.

Any ideas on how to find out if this one would take a 16GB stick (has only ONE slot) other than purchasing one, trying it out and having to return if it does not work?

Thanks,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors